2013 chevy malibu eco sedan

solarvic
solarvic Solar Expert Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭✭
.new car I just got an email about. http://www.chevrolet.com/malibu-eco-fuel-efficient-sedan/?eVar1=eml_chevy_family_en_late_0312 Lookes like this car could be a little similar to a prius. :Dsolarvic:D

Comments

• niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: 2013 chevy malibu eco sedan

somehow i'm not impressed. this stuff should've been in development decades ago. they still think in some old terms though because for example there's something wrong when they try tweaking everything and then it says heated sideview mirrors. this is an automatic function based on the setting you put on the heater. if there's no snow or foggyness due to moisture to the mirrors that require the heating then this is a big waste and most everybody here knows heating electrically is wasteful. it is a good feature if used temporarily for even after the mirrors are cleared you may want to keep the setting the same for the interior, but it will stay on for the mirrors too and as such should be able to be disabled independently.
  • solar_dave
    solar_dave Solar Expert Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭

These are supposedly going to built on the same line as the Volt at Hamtramic.

The wife just crossed 5K miles on less than 2 gallons of gas. I drove mine to Vegas so I have used 16 gallons in 3K miles. Loving the Volts.
  • techntrek
    techntrek Solar Expert Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭
    niel wrote: »
    ... heated sideview mirrors. this is an automatic function based on the setting you put on the heater. if there's no snow or foggyness due to moisture to the mirrors that require the heating then this is a big waste and most everybody here knows heating electrically is wasteful.

Definitely a nice feature, I had a car with that and thought at first "are you kidding?", but soon loved it. I agree it definitely should be on a separate button on a "green" car.
    4.5 kw APC UPS powered by a Prius, 12 kw Generac, Honda EU3000is
  • solarvic
    solarvic Solar Expert Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭✭

Wonder if they will put the mirrow warmer on a timer like the electric rear windoes are? :Dsolarvic:D
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    solarvic wrote: »
    Wonder if they will put the mirrow warmer on a timer like the electric rear windoes are? :Dsolarvic:D

that would save on power. for all i know they may be doing just that as you can only get so much info from general descriptions. it may be me presupposing that it is old school implementations, but unless it says otherwise or somebody reports differently i can only think they are going by the old ways. it also stands out as a red flag for us that know of conservation methods and the many no nos we have encountered.
  • techntrek
    techntrek Solar Expert Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭
    solarvic wrote: »

The car I had before had the heated mirrors on the same circuit as the rear defroster.
    4.5 kw APC UPS powered by a Prius, 12 kw Generac, Honda EU3000is