first timer with some basic questions

Options
pasparkykid
pasparkykid Registered Users Posts: 1
Hello, First off let me say that I'm new to any thing solar. My questions are ,I have a 12' x 24' cabin with no existing electric, I would like to put in some lights, and a few outlets for charging cell phones, laptop computer, small radio, no major appliances. What would be agood type of light system to use, LED or florescent? What would be a good choice for size of panel? Lastly about type and quantiy of batteries and charge controls?

Thanks

Comments

• solarix
    solarix Solar Expert Posts: 713 ✭✭
    Options
    Re: first timer with some basic questions

without more quantification of your usage, the easiest way to go about this is if we have some idea of what budget you can spend on this?
    Not having that that, as long as you aren't trying to run a fridge, a little 600 watt inverter will do a lot, just needs one battery, a cheap pwm charge controller, and one >200w PV module.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,447 admin
    Options
    Re: first timer with some basic questions

Here are some older posts that talk about building small systems:
    BB. wrote: »
    Add this link to our Solar Beginner Post:

Emergency Power

Basically a very long thread that starts from the beginning with a few vague requirements through design and assembly for a "portable" solar RE off-grid power box.

And here is another example by Mike90045 called the Solar Monolith:

attachment.php?attachmentid=384&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1234752636

attachment.php?attachmentid=385&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1234752653

Update pictures/information here.

-Bill

Here is a nice thread with video from Kevin in Calgary Canada that shows designing and installing solar PV in a small RV trailer.

They are all smaller systems and show the details of designing/building a small solar power setup.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset