Tower/Mast or Pole

Options
Beekeeper
Beekeeper Registered Users Posts: 3
I'm in the process of trying to understand the costs related to putting in a wind turbine near a small green house. Presently, I'm considering a 500-750 watt turbine, based on a rough estimate of the projected load. This would be used in conjunction with a set of solar panels.

While I can generate a rough estimate for the basic equipment ...... the cost of a 40-60' pole/mast/tower for the turbine is difficult to estimate. I would like to build the mast myself and was considering using 1 1/2" schedule 80 steel pipe.

My questions are:

a) Is 1 1/2" schedule 80 steel pipe the right material for constructing a 40 - 60 ' mast ? (Should I consider something else ?)

b) Would a mast of this type support a 500-750 watt turbine, assuming the mast would also be guyed ?

c) What construction issues should I worry about ?

d) Does anyone have photos or drawings of a mast they are willing to share ?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Beekeeper

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,447 admin
    Options
    Re: Tower/Mast or Pole

I cannot help you directly--But here are a couple of other sites that specialize in/have more Wind Power (we are more into sun and conservation here):

Wind Power Links
    www.otherpower.com (good forum for DIY Wind Power)
    Hugh Piggott - Scoraig Wind Electric site for tons of info (from mike90045)
    www.greenpowertalk.org (added from "russ"--Like here but more wind/less solar)
    www.builditsolar.com

Welcome to the forum!
    -Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • 65DegN
    65DegN Solar Expert Posts: 109 ✭✭
    Options
    Re: Tower/Mast or Pole

You might get some info from the SouthWest Windpower web site. From the Whisper 200 manual...
    "...The “Whisper” land tower kit is designed to use a 2.875 in. (73 mm) outside diameter pipe. This is
    the same outside diameter as 2 ½ in. steel water pipe where the “2 ½” is a nominal size indicating
    an outside diameter that is actually 2.875 in. Whether the pipe is “schedule 20”, or “schedule 40”,
    the outside diameter will be the same and the schedule number determines the wall thickness of the
    pipe..."
    http://www.windenergy.com/sites/webtest.windenergy.com/files/0029_REV_E_65FootWhisperTowerManual.pdf

Bergey pole towers for their 1 KW machine (up to 100') are made with a different approach, strength through increased pipe diameter instead of wall thickness. They use a 4.5" schedule 10 pipe. It makes for a lighter tower and easier to deal with.

A turbine on a 40' pole will spend most of its time searching back and forth looking for wind direction amidst the turbulence. I had the opportunity to observe an installation of two Bergey 1 KW machines on the same treeless property. One was mounted at 120' the other at about 30'. The taller one was producing several hundred watts while the shorter one was just beginning to turn. Mostly it was just panning back and forth as the tail was being pushed around by turbulent wind. Over time the difference in the level of power production can be several fold.