Baton Rouge Solar Installations

Thomas
Thomas Solar Expert Posts: 291
Hi, the city I live in just put in a whole lot of solar panels on all of the billboards, why are they all pointing at 200'w and not directly south?:p
Always troubleshoot with adequate sunlight.  Hi Ho Hi Ho
2.3kW [10] Enecsys SMI-240-60 micro inverters

Comments

• niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Baton Rouge Solar Installations

why don't you try asking them? curious as to why you think your city is sponsoring those billboards as i thought that was part of advertising by private businesses?
  • Thomas

I thought they were privately owned too untill a conversation with someone brought question to that, the conversation brought up issues like the zoning, next to highways and public spaces and land ownnership, and rights, I think now that maybee the state/city has rights to the signs. I wonder if the elliviation of the lighting bill increses the rental space rent, and for who?

• niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

now you have a job to do don't you. shall we call you sherlock from now on?:p
  • Thomas

I do not even know where to begin at the top.....

• KeithWHare
    KeithWHare Solar Expert Posts: 140 ✭✭✭

Looks like a private project:

http://siliconbayounews.com/2011/12/09/lamar-advertising-begins-use-of-renogy-solar-panels-in-louisiana-solar-project/

There's a statement in the center paragraph I don't understand, "our products’ high PTC rating ". What is a "PTC rating"?
  • Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭

Hi Keith,

Think that the PTC is an older term .. Have heard it referred to as "Pacific Test Conditions".

Googled it and found; "PTC is an acronym for "PV USA Test Conditions" which were developed at the PV USA test site at the University of Davis, California. The PTC rating represents a more real life condition of 1,000 watts per square meter solar irradiance, 1.5 Air Mass, and 20 degrees C. ambient temperature at 10 meters above ground level and wind speed of 1 meter per second.

Guess that "NOCT" has become the more common derating for typical conditions. Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • Thomas

niel-I drilled with the USNR in Sacramento while going to schoolin Chico, Butte County JC....I noticed a few more billboards and the constant does not seem to be directly the sun, I am just guessing but I think It is a site by site optimum with an applied program like you mentioned. Do they correct them to the sun or the program standards? They seem to be in determining phase of application, most are not connected yet.

• Thomas

UC DAVIS is a Very Quality Engineering school, word of mouth had it.