Can I Use 24v Panels on a 12v System

Caneman
Caneman Solar Expert Posts: 71 ✭✭✭✭
I would like to use a couple (2) 240w panels (~33v and 7a for each panel) to charge a 12v battery bank (2 - 6v 220ah batteries in series) using a MPPT charge controller... will I have any problems with this? Also, I plan to connect the panels in series and the CC is rated for 150voc and 45a. Thanks for any input!

Comments

• solar_dave
    solar_dave Solar Expert Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Can I Use 24v Panels on a 12v System
    Caneman wrote: »
    I would like to use a couple (2) 240w panels (~33v and 7a for each panel) to charge a 12v battery bank (2 - 6v 220ah batteries in series) using a MPPT charge controller... will I have any problems with this? Also, I plan to connect the panels in series and the CC is rated for 150voc and 45a. Thanks for any input!

Yes that will work, given all the rest of the components are sized. OK.
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭

Yes, assuming you're using a MPPT controller. what is your controller?

Tony
  • Caneman

I am planning on using this CC:

wind-sun_2202_23786271
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

this will be capable of a higher than normal charge rate so you may need to watch your maintenance of the batteries more often. otherwise it is fine.
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭

My cousin has similar at his camp. Two 37 volt panels, and since they are roughly 200 feet from the camp, wired them in series, doubling the voltage to his TS-MPPT-60 which then dumps into his two L-16 batteries. (12 volt system)
    Works very well for him.
    By the way, I highly recommend the optional meter for this controller. Really shows you what's going on.
  • Caneman
    By the way, I highly recommend the optional meter for this controller. Really shows you what's going on.

I was thinking about that meter as well... will it give me the same information that a Trimetric battery monitor would?
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,422 admin

No--Not really.

The charge controller display only shows what the charge controller is outputting (voltage, current, other parameters). Not bad and probably useful if you need to access charge controller parameters without plugging in an adapter and PC. It cannot tell the difference between loads and charging current to the battery.

A Battery Monitor logs the current into and out of the battery bank (which is very important to the health of your batteries). Most battery monitors can give you an estimated State of Charge (XX% SOC) at anytime (very nice for spouse, kids, guests to help them not drain your bank because of too much loading). As well as showing you the present current into/out of the battery bank.--You don't need to use a hydrometer or measure the resting voltage. And for sealed batteries, you cannot even measure the specific gravity.

Of course, Battery Monitors are not perfect and can drift overtime. Usually they reset back to 100% based on >XX volts charging for longer than Y hours. And, they cannot account for sulfation/aging of the battery (loss of capacity)--Of course, you can always program the charge controller for less capacity if needed.

Although, there are many people that have used a hydrometer and voltmeter to monitor their batteries over the years with great success too.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Caneman

thanks everyone you have been really helpful!

Can I expand this 150v 45a CC with 2 strings of panels in parallel, each string is (3) 240w panels in series, to charge the 12v battery bank?

edit: I think it just dawned on me that the max solar array I can use with a 45a CC and 12v battery bank is 45 x 12 = 540w. and any incoming panel watts over this will not be used, is this correct?
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,422 admin

Depending on how cold it gets in your area--Around Vmp-array of ~100 VDC maximum (higher Vmp can make Voc-cold>150 VDC max controller input voltage). MPPT charge controllers can manage very large arrays as the (good quality) MPPT controllers will limit their output current to a safe level (no damage)... So, normally, the maximum cost effective array size would be:
    • 45 amps * 14.5 volts batt charge * 1/0.77 panel+controller derating = ~847 watt maximum "cost effective" array

You can go over this value, but on clear/cool days, your charge controller will bump up against the 45 amp limit for a greater percentage of the day.

Again, just a rough number, going >>847 watts is not going to hurt anything--but the controller will simply not output any more than 45 amps.

So 2 strings * 3 panels * 240 watts per panel = 1,440 watts ... Your controller will spend a fair amount of time (several hours a day) at 45 amp output maximum.

If you think you will have 1,440 watts of solar panels, you have too (major) options.

Option 1 is to get a larger charge controller (or two smaller controllers in parallel at the battery bank--each handling 1/2 the string):
    • 1,440 watts * 0.77 derating * 1/14.5 volts = 76.5 amps

So, either two 45 amp controllers or one 80 amp controller.

Option 2 is to pick a 24 or 48 volt battery bank... That will cost you a new inverter (and other possible direct DC load issues), but, for example a 24 volt battery bank controller (your 45 amp MPPT controller is 12/24/48 volt) will manage:
    • 1,440 watts * 0.77 derating * 1/29.0 volts = 38.2 amps (your planned 45 amp MPPT controller will be fine)

And a 48 volt battery bank will be 1/2 the output again:
    • 1,440 watts * 0.77 derating * 1/58.0 volts = 19.1 amps (you can add even more panels/strings to your 45 amp MPPT controller)

Your choice... Figure out what your ultimate planned loads/battery bank/array size will be... And what voltage(s) make sense for your loads (inverter, 12/24 volt DC loads are more common than 48 VDC). And remember if you are sending the power any distance--12 volts is a bear to send very much power any distance without spending a ton on copper wiring.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Caneman

^^^ thank you sir, that cleared it up for me...