General Electric Geospring Heat Pump Electric Water Heater:Problematic?

silvertop
silvertop Solar Expert Posts: 155 ✭✭✭✭✭
I've been wondering.....you guys that have this geospring water heater.......has anyone had any problems? I am seeing a lot of negative feedback on the internet about the compressors malfunctioning. I know some of you have these; have any of you had this type of issue? This product seemed to have such great potential for cutting back electric comsumption. I've read in feed back where people purchased the extended warranty due to the issues.

Has anyone actually monitored the KW useage on these in a 24 hour period to see how much they actually consume in the heat pump mode alone, turning off the resistance heater?

I have also read that an American manufacturing plant has been opened for these, but it sounds like up until now, they were made in China? making this a potential quality issue? I've also read where one person had a serviceman come out to repair the compressors, and after repairs, they ran much quieter. Just looking for opinions, thoughts, suggestions........

Comments

• solarvic
    solarvic Solar Expert Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: General Electric Geospring Heat Pump Electric Water Heater:Problematic?

Well, so far I have had mine since oct 2010 witn no problems so far. I did put a utility meter on mine to track its power usage. It used 490 kwh in its first year. I had the meter on about 3 days on my previous 50 gallon waterheater and it used about 11 hwh per day. My geospring has always run on eco heatpump mode. Last week I disconnected the electric heating elements to see if it would run that way, It does. I got a dc waterheating element I plan on using for a dump load when I get set up with ac coupling from a fronius gt inverter thru a magnum offgrid invrtter. The quality seems good. With Ge building the geospring here sounds like the price will be $300 or more less. Would I buy another one or recemend one. Most definitely. :Dsolarvic:D I? can hardly hear the cimpressor. The fan noise is higher than compressor. Also I was checking sears and they seem to only have a very few and are closing them out at $998.99. I am wondering about which ones are better. China made ones or the new us built ones. Also I see that sears has a kenmore model now
  • silvertop
    silvertop Solar Expert Posts: 155 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the info; maybe worst case I purchase the extended warranty ( I hate to do this - I never do). I have my electric water heater on a timer. I will have to put a meter on It before I purchase anything to see what it's using. It's only on about 2.5 hours a day now.
  • jkhawaii
    jkhawaii Solar Expert Posts: 30

Those look cool! I want to get one! with a kwh rate of .33 here in hawaii, that heater would pay for itself in one year easy.
  • drees
    drees Solar Expert Posts: 482 ✭✭✭
    jkhawaii wrote: »
    Those look cool! I want to get one! with a kwh rate of .33 here in hawaii, that heater would pay for itself in one year easy.
    It'll work great in Hawaii, too with the warm weather there. And it'll cool and dehumidify the room that it's in!
  • hbv2020
    hbv2020 Registered Users Posts: 5

My Geospring is located in a place where the temps are always above 60 degrees. It runs most of the time on eheat mode, but will switch itself to electric mode on its own, yet still show eheat in the display. If I manually put it in electric mode (shown on display) and then put it back in eheat mode the compressor will come on. Any ideas?

Thanks
    Harold