more gen vlt problems

Options
itchyfeet
itchyfeet Registered Users Posts: 13
Gen is putting out 248 to 252 vlts, last night the lights had a surge follwed by a smoked surge protector, at the time the gen went up to 265vlts, ob says vlts to high, gen company says its ok. lower limit on mate is set at 108, upper limit at 140, the two inverters are stacked in "classic series". all wiring is ok, everything seemed to be running fine the only change I made between fine and not fine is I extended the wire run from gen to breakers about 30' with # 6, total run is about 45' , gen was to close to bed room.

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,443 admin
    Options
    Re: more gen vlt problems

Blown Surge Suppressor? Usually, I thought that surge suppressors are not that sensitive to voltage... A maximum of 132/264 volts (North American split phase), was what we always designed equipment to operate at.

Smoking a surge suppressor has usually been a problem of plugging in a 120 VAC power strip into a 230 VAC outlet (aka somebody brought a power strip from the US and plugged it into a European outlet).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Ralph Day
    Ralph Day Solar Expert Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: more gen vlt problems

Can you adjust the throttle on your genset? I had to do that with my 5kw Subaru diesel unit. It's frequency and voltage were too high for inverter synch-ing. Luckily, there is a throttle cut off right out in the open and I mounted an adjustable bolt below it. It would take a minute or two to change throttle setting.

Isn't there usually a governor control on a gasoline small engine? IIRC a little screw would adjust how fast the engine would run. You'd have to look under the engine cover no doubt.

Good Luck

Ralph