price of solar panels

Options
BoFuller
BoFuller Solar Expert Posts: 187 ✭✭✭
If I was going to get a few panels(3-4) for my RV now and then several more (12 or more) in about a year or two for my cabin (when it is done), should I wait for the cabin later or maybe get them all now? Do you all think the price will continue to go down or might they start going back up?
12 Kyocera 235 panels, 3 Gyll LiFePO4 batteries (previously 16 Trojan L16 RE-B batteries), Outback 3600W 48V system, Generac 11K propane backup generator, NW AZ, off grid, 6,000 ft (system installed in April 2015)

Comments

• solar_dave
    solar_dave Solar Expert Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: price of solar panels

Loaded question, The general trend has been down significantly in recent years. However, much of that may have been due to China selling at below cost. The trade war is heating up so it is possible that price may go back up. I suspect it will be a more flat price situation the next few months/year as the raw material costs seem to now be the biggest component cost. The price of raw materials could go up effecting end user price.

The flip side, are you going to reuse the RV panels in the cabin install? If not it makes little difference but if you are then all the same panels does make a difference. Sometimes panel manufacturers drop models fairly frequently and bring out new model with difference specs making it difficult to match older panels.
  • BoFuller
    BoFuller Solar Expert Posts: 187 ✭✭✭
    Options

When I don't need the panels for the RV, then I might move them to the garage, but no I would not move them to the cabin. I may just leave them on the RV.

Thanks.
    12 Kyocera 235 panels, 3 Gyll LiFePO4 batteries (previously 16 Trojan L16 RE-B batteries), Outback 3600W 48V system, Generac 11K propane backup generator, NW AZ, off grid, 6,000 ft (system installed in April 2015)

• niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

if you see what you deem to be a good deal then buy them now.
  • 65DegN
    65DegN Solar Expert Posts: 109 ✭✭
    Options

The US Dept. of Commerce has twice delayed the ruling on the alleged dumping of Chinese modules on US markets. The US International Trade Commission has already ruled that the Chinese have hurt the US solar manufacturing industry. The DoC has set up conditions that would allow for a retroactive duty being applied to all panels that entered the US from Dec. 3rd, 2011 forward.
    US manufacturers are asking for a 250% tarriff.(1)
    If enacted, I would think thats bound to have a very significant impact on solar.

Historically, as I recall, the US does not typically punish countries like China for dumping on a timely basis though. The Japanese and Koreans allegedly dumped consumer electronics onto the US market starting in the 1970's and by the time the US government did anything about it all US electronics manufacturers had already been driven out of the country. Zenith was one of the last to go taken over by LG in 1999.

(1) http://www.pv-magazine.com/news/details/beitrag/us--retroactive-duties-could-be-applied-to-chinese-solar-imports_100005616/#axzz1oabdq64Q
  • solarvic
    solarvic Solar Expert Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Another point is you will save lots of money on shipping if you get them in one shipment. Example I bought 8 panels and then I bought 2 more. The shipping for 8 was only about $20 more than just 2 panels. :Dsolarvic:D