Surplus equipment, uses for?

Options
Ralph Day
Ralph Day Solar Expert Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭✭
Hi all
I have come into posession of some surplus solar charge controllers. One is labelled Solar Sense and seems pretty dead simple. 3 Anderson connections in, for the panels, and one Anderson connector out for the battery. The circuit board inside is labelled as Arise Technologies 2000 and Pulse Energy Systems. Probably an easy bit of kit to figure out.

The other has no labels, but inside the circuit board is labelled Morningstar...hmm. MS-SHS-1.5 SHS Rev 1.5

There are 3 Anderson solar connections in, 3 Anderson connections out plus what appears to be connections for bare wire and/or meter leads. The circuit board printing shows solar, battery and load connections. Seems like this one is more involved/complicated than the other.

If anyone recognizes either of these and can give an opinion of their possible uses (besides paperweights) I would be grateful.

Ralph

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,457 admin
    Options
    Re: Surplus equipment, uses for?

I cannot find anything useful about your boxes... They appear to be plastic and I would guess that they cannot handle much power. Take them apart for other projects?

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

if the one does have morningstar on it it could be one of the sunsaver pwm boards that were being sold at one time. your guess is as good as mine which one you have without knowing if it is genuine or not.

try them out for they may actually work, but i wouldn't say you hit it golden.
  • Ralph Day
    Ralph Day Solar Expert Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

The price was right...free. Once I hear from Morningstar I might find a use for one or the other, maybe as a maintenance charger on the tractor?

Ralph