Xantrex programming problem

Diver
Diver Registered Users Posts: 9
Someone asked about a problem they are having programming a Xantrex inverter. Would appreciate any input...

I want to set a configuration for a Xantrex inverter using a renewable source of energy first and then from batteries. And after, if it's necessary, to use energy from the grid. I use LoadShave mode for that. I set up time parameters for this mode for 24 hours and limited it to zero Amp. But the inverter continues to provide power from the grid. Its so strange. When i switch on 1kW load (kettle) Xantrex powered it 50/50, If i switch on 3kW loads (AC) Xantrex powered this load 90/10 %. When i add to this load 1 kW more (kettle) Xantrex starts to separate only 1kWt load by 50/50 %. My purpose is programming Xantrex for using renewable energy sources first, when its enough power and if it's necessary - to mix some power from the grid. In other words, i want to get a zero bill but now Xantrex takes power from the grid itself even when it's enough power from the sun.

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Re: Xantrex programming problem

That has been a fairly common request here--Especially for places that do not allow Grid Tied Inverters to sell back to the grid.

Hopefully, somebody here can help... But you may also need to call Schneider/Xantrex support directly. There may be some updated firmware for your hybrid inverter, and some programming "tricks" based on it (from what I have read here, it can be a fairly complex, and not at all clear, about how best to setup the inverter's configuration).

Also, I would suggest looking at the issue of cycling the batteries for nighttime use if you have grid power.

Assuming you are in the US--Many times, it is more costly to cycle the batteries (cycling wear, battery losses) than to just pay the retail cost of power.

If you have "enough" solar panels to power your system 24x7, it is still possible that the cost of battery cycling may cost as much, or more than, the utility power (unless you are in California/New York/etc. where we can pay upwards of $0.30-$0.50 per kWH--and even then it is not always a pure savings).

Would your utility allow you to do Net Metering? Some utilities allow it, but only pay you 50% or less of retail price for excess power generation--which makes the power equation a bit more muddy.

-Bill :confused:
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Diver

This is located in Barbados where they pay ~$.43/kWh. I mentioned that they might have to contact Schneider/Xantrex tech support but sometimes that's problematic as has been stated on this forum. Hoping someone has had experience with this problem.
  • BB.

Wait around a few days and watch the thread--There have been a couple discussions about this. In the mean time, I will try to see if I can find the old thread(s) later this evening.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Diver

Much appreciated Bill. I remember some discussion about this but couldn't find the thread.
  • BB.

Here is one such thread:

http://forum.solar-electric.com/showthread.php?11599-XW6048-Charger-Settings

A great way to search here is to use Google with the "site:" tag to limit searches to just one website... For example:
    • xantrex XW firmware setup for no sell site:wind-sun.com

Change the words as you get closer to what you want...

Hope that helps--Sorry, ran out of time and energy last night and don't have much time this morning

-Bill
  • Diver

Thanks much Bill.
  • sub3marathonman
    sub3marathonman Solar Expert Posts: 300 ✭✭✭
    Diver wrote: »
    Someone asked about a problem they are having programming a Xantrex inverter. Would appreciate any input...

I want to set a configuration for a Xantrex inverter using a renewable source of energy first and then from batteries. And after, if it's necessary, to use energy from the grid. I use LoadShave mode for that. I set up time parameters for this mode for 24 hours and limited it to zero Amp. But the inverter continues to provide power from the grid. Its so strange.

The XW inverter will just do what it is told to do. What I notice is that you have the system, with Load Shave mode set for 24 hours, limited to zero Amps. So any time at night, isn't the inverter trying to "Load Shave" anything that is using electricity? And this would be on the subpanel that the XW feeds to, if a load is on the main panel the inverter doesn't see it. It will try to offset it if you have Sell enabled.

So if you've used the batteries overnight and discharged them to some level, when the PV starts in the daylight the first requirement is to recharge the batteries. Even if you've got Load Shave enabled, if the batteries are too discharged to supply power the inverter will only use grid power. So the time you are measure these loads, and the state of charge of the batteries, will have an effect. Also, the voltage that the Grid Support Voltage is set at will determine the voltage the batteries can be discharged to, and thus the amount of electricity they can supply at any given time.

As a footnote, I have my inverter set to Sell Enabled, so it will attempt to offset any usage from the grid, depending on the settings of the parameters I've mentioned.
  • Diver

Thank you Solar Panda.
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Diver wrote: »
    Thank you Solar Panda.

fyi,
    solar panda is not a username in this case as it is just an indicator of the number of posts.