I want this Hybrid Car! Move over Volt

westbranch
westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
Just saw this on the tube last evening on the news... a mere 403 HP:D, 0 - 60 mph in under 6.4 seconds:D, and luxury to boot... and 50 miles on electric before the gas motor starts:cool:

http://www.fiskerautomotive.com/en-us

http://www.fiskerautomotive.com/en-us/discover/brochure

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
West Chilcotin, BC, Canada

Comments

• solar_dave
    solar_dave Solar Expert Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: I want this Hybrid Car! Move over Volt

Get your wallet out! And hope they don't go under.
  • solarvic
    solarvic Solar Expert Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭✭

Solar Dave. How long do you think GM will make the volt? They are going to have a 5 week shutdown because the demand is too low. I kind of like the idea of a volt but the price is too high. It has a lot of the same body parts as the chevy Cruze. The make some of the parts in Lordstown ohio. You can buy 2 cruzes for the price if 1 volt and they are about the same size. I think they will have to lower the price about 8 or 9 thousand and then they might sell. i am waiting for the diesel version of the Cruze that they project to get 52 mpg. Sometimes bieing the early adopter cost you more in cost and reliability. A friend that works in Gm told me it is better to wait at least till the second model year is out on a new car style. So if I get the diesel Cruze I could be a ginny pig also. Good luck with your volts and If I could afford one I would consider one too. I like the body style. :Dsolarvic:D ordered a vanity plate with
    solr vic Think people will figure what it says.
  • solar_dave
    solar_dave Solar Expert Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭
    solarvic wrote: »
    Solar Dave. How long do you think GM will make the volt? They are going to have a 5 week shutdown because the demand is too low. I kind of like the idea of a volt but the price is too high. It has a lot of the same body parts as the chevy Cruze. The make some of the parts in Lordstown ohio. You can buy 2 cruzes for the price if 1 volt and they are about the same size. I think they will have to lower the price about 8 or 9 thousand and then they might sell. i am waiting for the diesel version of the Cruze that they project to get 52 mpg. Sometimes bieing the early adopter cost you more in cost and reliability. A friend that works in Gm told me it is better to wait at least till the second model year is out on a new car style. So if I get the diesel Cruze I could be a ginny pig also. Good luck with your volts and If I could afford one I would consider one too. I like the body style. :Dsolarvic:D ordered a vanity plate with
    solr vic Think people will figure what it says.

I think the Volt is solid in GM, after the Christmas shutdown they ran over 4000 of them off in less than 4 weeks while monthly sales are at around 1000-1500. I am pretty sure the issue is the allocation system GM is using, Europe, Canada, and even a far number of dealers in the US are asking for more Volts, in fact the new change made to allow California HOV lane access is sold out as far as anyone has been able to tell even before any have been delivered. Yet many dealers are flat out, while many more have inventory still. Here in PHX most dealers have at least 5 or 6 on the lot, while Chicago dealers can't get enough. Part of the problem is early sales were skewed by people like me who went out of state to buy. Also there was a fairly large burst of sales in DEC to grab the tax credits and Jan is notorious for poor car sales. Feb was the best sales month ever for the Volt. If one looks at the early Prius sales and how that took a year or 2 to ramp up, the Volt is way ahead of that curve.

The rumble I am hearing is GM is dropping the allocation routine they have been doing and opening up orders to what ever dealers want them. I think GM is just a little bound to the old business still. However there is some speculation that now that the jobs bank is gone, this model of run and shutdown may become more prevalent, it costs them much less in wages. THere is also some speculation that some key conponent may be in limited supply. The battery? Drive Motor? ...

The CEO today in fact stated GM is still fully committed to the Voltec technology. I guess only time will tell.