Source for MC4 safety locking clips

peakbagger
peakbagger Solar Expert Posts: 341 ✭✭✭
Hi, I need to get some MC4 safety locking clips for a project. NAWS doesnt list them. In general considering they are required for code compliant installation very few on line merchants seem to list them. I have found the "tool" to remove them in more places than the clips. Any suggestions? My local electrical supply house isnt very responsive to requests for anything unusual and solar in general is regarded as "unusual".

Comments

• westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Source for MC4 safety locking clips

i thought i posted here already, but i don't see it now.:confused:

if you only have a few connections to make it may be cheaper to just buy small extension cables and cut them in half. from the cut end of the extension cable you can splice another wire to it and off to your controller or whatever it's going to..
  • jagec
    jagec Solar Expert Posts: 157 ✭✭
    niel wrote: »
    i thought i posted here already, but i don't see it now.:confused:

if you only have a few connections to make it may be cheaper to just buy small extension cables and cut them in half. from the cut end of the extension cable you can splice another wire to it and off to your controller or whatever it's going to..

Yes, assuming that you aren't installing junction boxes on a bunch of solar laminates, this is the thing to do. If your installation uses a combiner box on the roof, you don't even need to splice anything, just get an extension cable that's long enough to reach from the panels to the combiner.

As for the "removal tool", I found it pretty easy to take them apart with just my fingers. Am I missing something?
  • peakbagger
    peakbagger Solar Expert Posts: 341 ✭✭✭

I didnt find them on ebay but did find them at Duncan Solar.

I think a lot of folks are missing something. The standard MC4 cable will click together without a locking safety clip but there is a plastic barrel that covers the connection to make it require a tool. I havent used them before but have run into this detail. They are cheap so I will order some. My evergreens specifically note that they do not include the locking clips.
  • nsaspook
    nsaspook Solar Expert Posts: 396 ✭✭✭

Newark has a full line of products. I specified the connectors for a solar LED lighting project at work so I could get the full set of tools and borrow them if needed. :blush:
    http://www.newark.com/jsp/level5/module.jsp?moduleId=en_US/176240.xml