Amazing that you can still get first rate electrical equipment made in USA!

Options
SolaRevolution
SolaRevolution Solar Expert Posts: 410 ✭✭
Thanks to-

Magnum Energy (MS4024PAE)
Outback Power (FM-60MPPT)
Trojan Battery (L16-REB)
Solar World (SW245Mono)
Prosolar (PV mounts)
Midinght Solar (E-panel)
Eaton Cuttler/Hammer (AC panels)
Southwire (all copper wire)
Carlon (PVC sch 40 conduit)

I was able to sell an off-grid power system with all major components made in the USA to a customer who wanted to support domestic manufacturering.
Of course many small parts were from elsewhere (breakers, small conduit fittings...) This union retiree was suprised and delighted that most of the money he was putting into his system would continue to rebound throughout the "local" economy.

Comments

• Ralph Day
    Ralph Day Solar Expert Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Amazing that you can still get first rate electrical equipment made in USA!

Good to hear about someone not just wanting the least expensive equipment in their system. It's difficult to source things not made in the far east from furniture to tools...without some real research.

Ralph
  • SolaRevolution
    SolaRevolution Solar Expert Posts: 410 ✭✭
    Options

The only "extra" cost was going with Solar Worlds instead of dollar/Watt Chinese brand. The total difference in price was less than $400 for this 4 module system. Everything else was first choice anyway.
  • Eric L
    Eric L Solar Expert Posts: 262 ✭✭
    Options

Well, the U.S. is still the world's largest producer in GDP terms by far, so it's not that surprising there's still a little U.S.-made stuff for sale. :p

Anyway, I had a similar experience building my latest system; I didn't intend to do it but realized one day that almost everything was USA-made. The only exception is that some of my Evergreen panels are Chinese made, although some were made in Massachusetts. And while my system is still new, the equipment from Magnum, Midnite, Evergreen, and others seems very well made and has worked flawlessly to date.
  • stephendv
    stephendv Solar Expert Posts: 1,571 ✭✭
    Options
    Eric L wrote: »
    Well, the U.S. is still the world's largest producer in GDP terms by far, so it's not that surprising there's still a little U.S.-made stuff for sale. :p

Only around 12% of that GDP comes from manufacturing: http://investing.curiouscatblog.net/2010/06/28/manufacturing-output-as-a-percent-of-gdp-by-country/ compared to China's 30%. When I choose to buy stuff, it's more important who made it, rather than where it was made. IMO Apple computer makes some of the highest quality computer products available, even though they're manufactured in china I know that apple has enough control over the process to keep the quality high. Same would go for any RE component and I'd have no hesitation buying gear from reputable companies like Outback even if they moved manufacturing to china (do they really still build _all_ their stuff in the US?).