Grid tie

intel415
intel415 Solar Expert Posts: 31
Hi guys, since i'm new to this. DC voltage is generated from either solar goes through a dc-ac inverter, and the excess power sends back to the utility company if it is grid tied system. My question is can i just plug the ac from the grid tie inverter to any ac outlets in my house? or something is more complicated? thanks. 8)

Comments

• solar_dave
    solar_dave Solar Expert Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Grid tie

Actually it is more complex. It is considered illegal and really bad practve to even consider a plug in inverter. The proper way is to get a permit and utility interconnect agreement and wire the inverter safely into the main house panel.

It is a safety and fire hazard to use plug in inverters, they can overload house wiring by providing more than one source to the house wiring. For instance you have a 14 gauge house wire protected by a 15 amp breaker in your panel, now you add another source of power with a plugin. Now it is possible to pass 15 amps from the panel and perhaps 10 amps from the inverter into that line. You could conceivably have 25 amps of load on that under sized wire, this can result in a fire on that line. If you did have a fire, even unrelated to your plug in, you may have trouble collecting from your insurance company.

Please consider doing it the correct way, using UL rated devices properly connected to your main panel with a permit. The grid interconnect allows the power company protection on their service as well. If you don't have the correct meter it is possible to actually get charged for the back feed you might provide to the grid as well.

About once every couple weeks we get questions about these plug in inverters. The answer is always the same, they are not legal to use and can present several hazards.
  • intel415
    intel415 Solar Expert Posts: 31
    Re: Grid tie

Thanks, i will look into getting a permit safety is first :) i don't want to burn down my house lol. Thanks again :)