Forum Software Upgrade

2»

Comments

• Windsun
    Windsun Solar Expert Posts: 1,164 ✭✭
    Re: Forum Software Upgrade

It appears that the forum is back up and running on the new server and with the forum software upgrade to the latest version. It took a lot longer than we expected, as we had to make some changes to the server.

Let us know ASAP if you see any problems.
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭

WoW, this evenings colour changes is grrrrrrreat for older eyes. Thanks.

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • Windsun

I am one of those older eyes - but let me know if you see any other font/color/whatever changes that would help.
  • nsaspook
    nsaspook Solar Expert Posts: 396 ✭✭✭

How can I turn off the BLUE. It's way too busy and is killing my eyes.
    Blue is supposedly bad for two reasons:

* chromatic aberration: white light entering into a prism or other lens refracts, i. e., bends. The amount of refraction depends on wavelength. Short wavelength light, which usually is perceived as blue, bends more than other wavelengths. (You can see this by noting that the spectrum created by a prism has red on the top and blue/violet on the bottom.) As a result, no lens can sharply image all wavelengths at the same distance. The eye’s lens tends to focus long and middle wavelengths, leaving short wavelength a bit blurred. In theory, it should be more difficult to see fine detail in blue.
    * foveal tritanopia: the fovea has the highest resolution for perceiving fine detail. There are no short wave cones in the very center, the area of maximum resolution, so presumably it is impossible to see blue when an image falls there.

http://www.sapdesignguild.org/resources/diagram_guidelines/textcolor_bk.html

It's legible and pops out from the background but I have bad myopia with thick glasses so the focus needed to see fine blue clearly near other colors makes other fonts blur. The white on blue is nasty for me.
  • Windsun

The blue is the standard default color for links. I could make it a darker blue perhaps.
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    nsaspook wrote: »
    In theory, it should be more difficult to see fine detail in blue.
    Not so! In microscopy we use blue filters to increase resolution. Shorter wavelengths increase detail. Blue is the shortest wavelength in the visible spectrum. Outside of the visible spectrum we use xrays, for example, for even finer detail.

If black text on white background is OK, but blue text on white background is blurry, consider this: The boundary between black and white is a boundary between no light and all colors of light. The boundary between blue and white is no boundary at all in the blue wavelength, but is a boundary only for the higher wavelengths. As for getting rid of blue, be careful what you wish for... what will happen to white if you get rid of all the blue?

In theory, theory and practice are the same, in practice they are not. Nsaspook's observations might well be correct because of chromatic aberration in the eye's optics (different colors light are refracted differently) and for many other reasons.
    --vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • nsaspook
    nsaspook Solar Expert Posts: 396 ✭✭✭
    vtmaps wrote: »
    In theory, theory and practice are the same, in practice they are not. Nsaspook's observations might well be correct because of chromatic aberration in the eye's optics (different colors light are refracted differently) and for many other reasons.
    --vtMaps

It is sharper when it's the center of attention but for me it's distracting because it causes blur around it. The darker blues seems better.
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭

"Blue is the shortest wavelength in the visible spectrum" Close.... but not quite there are 2 lower wavelength colours, Indigo (450nm) and Violet (400nm) Blue is 475 nm

the mnemonic for the colours of the visible spectrum is: ROYGBIV red orange green blue indigo violet

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada