how long would plated steel last as a panel mount?

Options
jkhawaii
jkhawaii Solar Expert Posts: 30
as pannel racks/mounts go, aluminum seems to be the material of choice, what If I used plated steel beams? like they sell at all hardware stores, usually in a small section with all kinds of steel and aluminum bars and, threaded rods. would they last for at least 5 years? well its going up this morning any way but I was just wondering if others have used this type of metal outdoors before. I did also spray the metal with some zinc cold galvanizing spray, put stainless washers between the steel and the panel. probably should have just spent a little more and got the ironridge mount from the site but, I wanted to get this panel mounted before today.... I have 3 more hours till 12:00

Comments

• Windsun
    Windsun Solar Expert Posts: 1,164 ✭✭
    Options
    Re: how long would plated steel last as a panel mount?

Your biggest problem will be galvanic corrosion, due to the different metals - aluminum panel frames and iron mounts. http://aluminumsurface.blogspot.com/2009/04/corrosion-between-anodized-aluminum-and.html
  • James
    James Solar Expert Posts: 250 ✭✭
    Options

Hard to say. If you are referring to gavlanized steel angle stock, you are most likely ok.
    If you are talking about zinc plated fasteners, they start to rust in a year, but not enough to cause structural weakness.
  • Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

SS Washers twix the AL PV frames and the Galv steel should help. Use SS bolts as well.

You might look at UniStrut at ehe big box store. Ideally, IMHO, if you could come up with an insulating plastic strip and SS hardware, you could be OK. For a temp array, I did use zinc-plated steel UniStrut and SS hardware without any insulating means. This array will be removed within 18 months. I consider it an experiment.

THe improvement store AL and steel profile section, around here, is an astronomically EXPENSIVE way to buy this stuff. Heart-stopping to me at least. The Strut is a much better deal, and it has a rated structural value. Some of the AL profiles are close to Dead Soft .. just my opinion. Good Luck, Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • SolaRevolution
    SolaRevolution Solar Expert Posts: 410 ✭✭
    Options

I see lots of unistrut installations still in fine shape after 15 years. The only down side I've seen is a white drip stain running down what ever surface it is mounted on.

"Unistrut" is a brand name. ""B-Line" by Cooper is just as good. Galvanized is most common (probably cheapest) but it can be ordered in stainless, aluminum, powdercoated, or several other finishes.

Use stainless steel 1/4-20 bolts throught the module frame mounting holes into the back side of the strut.
  • Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

1. YES, just used UinStrut, because EVERYONE knows what that is and means. In my case I used B-Line, in 20-foot lengths.

2. At least, real UniStrut is also available in even fiberglass. Although, would bet that many of these items are not in stock, and may well have high minimum quantities for special orders. Was thinking more about what the OP had stated about wanting to get something done today. Perhaps finding SS or even AL today may be a bit more difficult ... dunno. Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • offgrid me
    offgrid me Solar Expert Posts: 119 ✭✭
    Options

I used unistrut with small pieces of epdm rubber between the panel and strut. Aluminum bar stock for clamp and ss hardware. 7 months so far and not a hint of rust or corrosion.
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Where did you find the epdm? Not too many suppliers in these woods

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • offgrid me
    offgrid me Solar Expert Posts: 119 ✭✭
    Options

I had a chunk of rubber roofing left over from another project. Should last about 40 yrs in the weather.
  • jkhawaii
    Options

Attachment not found.Attachment not found.

some photos of the Kyocera KC130TM on the north facing roof the the house. I have the the bolts loose still but its up there, and sending power to the grid. those Chinese Grid tie inverters defenetly are rated for max input watts, the cooling fan comes on off and on with only one panel. also the guy on ebay I think kind of ripped me off The sticker says Sun 300G, 300w but, the circuit board inside says 250g.
  • jkhawaii
    Options

the panel angle came out to 21deg, facing south
  • jkhawaii
    Options

So, I used zinc plated Angle (that seems to be what they are called) a thicker and larger piece between the 1 5/8x13/16 Super Strut (If I were do do this again I definitely would have used the 1 5/8x 1 5/8 super strut, it was hard to position the bolts for the rack w/o bottoming in the shallow strut) , than a smaller Zinc plated angle and cut a 10 inch piece for the rear of the panel for tilt angle, also sprayed the zinc plated angles with more zinc with Rustolium zinc cold galvanizing spray. used stainless bolts and washers for the panel, and galvanized bolts and washers most every were else. Oh, and secured the panel and rack to the metal roofing material with S-5E standing seam clamps, seems pretty sturdy, though I will likely remove the panel from the roof if there is a hurricane haha. Now to finish securing the wiring. This is definitely more of a for fun experimental project than energy saver, I'll likely get maybe $6 off my Electric bill.