Wind to air power

Options
oil pan 4
oil pan 4 Solar Expert Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭
Has any one tried direct driving an air compressor with wind?

Solar hybrid gasoline generator, 7kw gas, 180 watts of solar, Morningstar 15 amp MPPT, group 31 AGM, 900 watt kisae inverter.

Solar roof top GMC suburban, a normal 3/4 ton suburban with 180 watts of panels on the roof and 10 amp genasun MPPT, 2000w samlex pure sine wave inverter, 12v gast and ARB air compressors.

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options
    Re: Wind to air power

Electrical or mechanical?

You can buy wind turbines that have an air compressor behind the blades.

Airlift Technologies

The air is injected at the bottom of the water well and the bubbles lift the water to the surface (obviously, there are design rules that have to be followed).

I did not see a specification, but probably in the 100 to 125 PSI range...

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • oil pan 4
    oil pan 4 Solar Expert Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Wow those are expensive.

I was thinking something more along the lines fo a wind driven air compressor that could keep my air compressor tanks topped off.
    I have a couple small compressors I use but have them connected to a rather large 20 or 25 gallon accumilator tank I got for free.
    The max pressure could be over 200 psi, I figure once the pressure gets high enough the wind turbine will just stop or if the wind is going too strong to stall the blades at high pressure then it could just pop a relief valve. Over all, much simpler than having load diverters, possiblily batteries and charge controlers and so on.

Solar hybrid gasoline generator, 7kw gas, 180 watts of solar, Morningstar 15 amp MPPT, group 31 AGM, 900 watt kisae inverter.

Solar roof top GMC suburban, a normal 3/4 ton suburban with 180 watts of panels on the roof and 10 amp genasun MPPT, 2000w samlex pure sine wave inverter, 12v gast and ARB air compressors.

• Polaraco
    Polaraco Solar Expert Posts: 102 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

You're going to have to have some pretty hefty blades to turn that and probably a flywheel to get it through the compression stroke. While I think it's a great idea, It's going to cost more than it's worth. You're better off getting a DC motor and running it off some panels and a battery bank.

Just being practical