Grid tie replacement

Options
OK I need to replace my grid tie w/ another grid tie. It is expensive and I want to do it at about 500-750watts solar power total, about when I want to change over to 24 volt.
Any economically realistic feasabilities, the only alternative I have found is a few small companies in california, about a dollar a watt. Thank You
Always troubleshoot with adequate sunlight.  Hi Ho Hi Ho
2.3kW [10] Enecsys SMI-240-60 micro inverters

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options
    Re: Grid tie replacement

Thomas,

I am not sure I follow you... The 12/24/etc. voltage for a "pure" grid tied inverter does not need to be a "battery" voltage level. These small inverters are just "designed" to work with 36 cell, or 72 cell, etc. solar panels (different Vmp). It is not really an "option for you", but just which product you choose.

The Enphase "Micro Inverters" are typically one 200 watt inverter per single 250 Watt solar panel with the "right" Vmp.

The inexpensive "power jack" type seem to be more along the lines of they designed for lower power/voltage solar panels. They may work with batteries connected on the input (i.e., solar panel to charge controller to GT inverter--But I have not seen the detailed specs. to know one way or another.

In any case, I am no expert in the field--Just more of an interested bystander who does not want to see you (or anyone else) get sued, hurt, or worse.

Could somebody make a GT inverter that hold the battery bank at the correct charging voltage (bulk, absorb, float)... Xantrex already does that with the 4-6kW XW product line.

There is nothing magic that prevents another vendor from making a smaller version. Just lots of hard work (including NRTL Listing) and a customer base willing to buy enough of them to make a profit.

But--again because GT solar connects to the home wiring/grid--It will probably never be a pure DYI project that does not attract the interest of the local building department or utility.

Even at this point GT Solar is only allowed because politicians want to be seen as "Green". This is (most likely in my humble opinion) a money loser for the utility (except when they are allowed to charge other customers extra "green" fees to break even or make a little money).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Thomas
    Thomas Solar Expert Posts: 291
    Options

Money is not all the motive w things, it is an oversimplification like other things I think. I am not cut into the energy esoterica, I don't have any idea why , thay just do.(support all this alt e stuff...
    By the dollar for the dollar thay should have continued to actively supress the solar wind industry..they did not. I think some looks int certain studies about the rural electrification, hoover dam and land reclamation/water ducting etc in the west in America would be revealing. Some people would look up Roswell or area 54 if left alone in Langley, VA overnight, I would want to look into this stuff. I heard somewhere solar especially outside the earhs atmosphere naturally exists as 18vac, not really DC from the sun! do you think I need to rectify my panels out put then, single or three phase, or should this be done onlt y if one is in space....Major Thomas

• icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Thomas,

You might consider confining your similar topics in j ust one thread, instead of using multiple threads for a similar topic.

Icarus
  • Thomas
    Options

I am as aware of this as I can be. But when there is things to say, do..just keep rolling along with it. Also really good topics seem to usually germinate in confusion...and end that way right?

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options

Thomas,

Lots of threads with variations on a theme get very confusing and frustrating for the readers/posters... One of us Moderators can combine the discussion threads, but it would probably be better for you to just pick one thread and continue your though processes.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Thomas
    Options

Thanks, also replying to all is not really nessisary, as I have sort of observed, If I get to answering all replys, I see my name monopolizing, whats up, I say, that looks like the last word, really intended as all replied to, not gotten the last word in...anyway,
    If this happens again I will try consolodating, and what you said.Hopefully it will not. I don't like it.