need info

bluz4evr
bluz4evr Registered Users Posts: 7
read yesterday that Kyocera will not honer warranty if panels are mounted on a RV.any body know if its trur and if so a good co.that will warranty panels mounted on RV roof.thanks in advance,Andy

Comments

• Jim45D
    Jim45D Solar Expert Posts: 102 ✭✭
    Re: need info

Just a guess on my part as to why the warranty may not be honored for RV panel mounting. I have personally seen two different RV's here in Arizona driving down the Interstate with panels in the upright position (tilted), One was flapping in the wind, the other was barely hanging on with the protective glass cracked. You cannot blame them (Kyocera) for not honoring warrantys for these particular installations/drivers. They apparently had been parked for some time, then drove away without returning the panels to the lowered positions. Word has undoubtably got around to other vendors as well, and the majority of them will not honor panel warranties affixed to RV's. Incidently, mine are mounted to a RV. One of the afore mentioned RV's also had the TV antenna, and rear roof vent in the upright position....ripped to shreds.
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

as jim said they want a permanent setup as too many goofups by the rv owners cause unnecessary damages to the pvs. they will also be subjected to winds that could artificially be bumped up by the speed of the rv making a brisk wind of say 45mph gusts to add with the 65mph of the rv and you have 110mph now hitting the pv. btw, it isn't just limited to rvs either as they do not want them mobile period so solar trailers may be out as well. i believe that temporary ground mounts should be ok, but they have the warranty written in such a way that they can reject the warranty claim for numerous things. how would you disprove acid rain didn't damage it? also for those that use rainex, and even salt for snow as another thread indicated, these will void the warranty too.
  • Windsun
    Windsun Solar Expert Posts: 1,164 ✭✭

If you read the fine print, most panel warranties from all mfg's no longer cover RV or marine use. Some may not say so explicitly, but is usually covered under things like "installation not in accordance with reccomendations" etc. On the other hand, I cannot recall anytime in the past 10 years or so that Kyocera has not honored the warranty regardless where it not not obviously abuse or physical damage.
  • bluz4evr
    bluz4evr Registered Users Posts: 7

I mount mine to stay flat.always had plenty of sun on them-maybe not using them to the fullest but have enough juice to get thru day/nite,if somebody is so stupid to drive with panels raised they deserve to loose them.I'd like to upgrade basiclly for faster recovery time-recharge battery bank faster.thanks for info and am not aiming comment on intellegence at anyone peticulare.
  • niel

if it were me and i needed to do it, i would do it in spite of warranty stipulations. as you said you are careful enough not to have it damaged by going down the road angled up or flapping in the breeze. if it is seen that the pv is not being abused then for a non-related failure they would probably honor the warranty, but i certainly wouldn't tell them it was on an rv.:-)
  • halfcrazy
    halfcrazy Solar Expert Posts: 720 ✭✭✭
    niel wrote: »
    as jim said they want a permanent setup as too many goofups by the rv owners cause unnecessary damages to the pvs. they will also be subjected to winds that could artificially be bumped up by the speed of the rv making a brisk wind of say 45mph gusts to add with the 65mph of the rv and you have 110mph now hitting the pv. btw, it isn't just limited to rvs either as they do not want them mobile period so solar trailers may be out as well. i believe that temporary ground mounts should be ok, but they have the warranty written in such a way that they can reject the warranty claim for numerous things. how would you disprove acid rain didn't damage it? also for those that use rainex, and even salt for snow as another thread indicated, these will void the warranty too.

Niel
    I am curious about the RainX voiding the panel warranty thats the first time I have heard that? I works really well for snow to my neighbor did half his array last summer as a test.

Ryan
  • niel

ryan,
    i read into section c2k on the kd series to mean no chemicals naturally occurring or otherwise.
    "defects and/or failures caused by smoke and/or other pollution, salt damage, acid rain, etc."
    unless they were to specifically say rainx is ok to use i wouldn't assume it's ok to use it.
    i wouldn't use it anyway as rainx puts a light film on the glass and i would assume it could ever so slightly impede the output.