PWM controller

Options
97TJ
97TJ Solar Expert Posts: 68 ✭✭
Hi,
I am taking opinions on whether or not I should get a different charge controller. I have been putting together my off grid system for my cabin over the last few years as money allows. I currently have (3) 18 volt panels that put out 33 amps. Sometime ago I purchased a coleman air c80 diversion controller at a good price. Is the PWM controller worth the upgrade?

Comments

• James
    James Solar Expert Posts: 250 ✭✭
    Options
    Re: PWM controller

I'm not sure what the coleman unit is, but these days i didn't think a PWM controller was considered an up grade. Although a bit more pricey, you'll get improved performance from a MPPT controller
  • Windsun
    Windsun Solar Expert Posts: 1,164 ✭✭
    Options

That is a dump load controller, and I am not especially fond of them. First of all you need to have a reliable load to dump to, or you can destroy your batteries in a few days of overcharging.

Dump load controllers do not control what is going to the battery, they only control when you start bleeding excess panel or wind production to a dummy load. In most cases, they are full on or full off.
  • 97TJ
    Options
    Windsun wrote: »
    That is a dump load controller, and I am not especially fond of them. First of all you need to have a reliable load to dump to, or you can destroy your batteries in a few days of overcharging.

Dump load controllers do not control what is going to the battery, they only control when you start bleeding excess panel or wind production to a dummy load. In most cases, they are full on or full off.

Are you referring to the C80? Go with the PWM? Your response is confusing.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options

PWM (and MPPT) are just better at feeding just the amount of current/power needed by the battery bank to reach 100% charge and stay there. A PWM controller--think of a switch that turns on and off quickly--just feeding little surges of current to keep the battery charged.

Vs a dump controller that takes 100%+ of the charger's rated current and "dumps" it to a resistor bank. Basically "cycling" the battery bank while charging it. This can age the battery even while charging it. And makes it difficult to keep the battery at "float voltage" (i.e., at 13.6 with a PWM/MPPT controller vs cycling between 14.5 and under 12.7 volts while the sun is up with a dump type controller).

Solar panels do not need a dump controller. You can simply "turn off the switch" when the battery is full.

With horizontal axis wind turbines, they always need an electrical load. If there is none, they can over-speed and self destruct in average to high winds. So the "simple" way to do this is always keep the turbine connected to the battery bank and use a dump controller to limit battery charging while keeping a steady load on the turbine.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • 97TJ
    Options

Ok, As I said, I have (3) 18 volt panels rated at 11.71 amps each. Would the TriStar PWM 45 Amp, 12/24/48 Volt Solar Charge Controller be a good choice?
  • BB.
    Options

Yep, that would be a perfect controller for your needs. There is the 60 amp version that has a small Internet server on-board--If that is worth the extra bucks (and possibly a bit more losses to power the larger unit+server).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • 97TJ
    Options

Thank you very much!
  • BB.
    Options

Several other suggestions.

The Morningstar TS Family of charge controllers supports a set of remote battery voltage sense leads. When I used to work with computers that had large power supplies and low/accurate voltage requirements, remote sense function was great.

Another option (to purchase) is the remote battery temperature sensor. The RBTS is handy because batteries' charging voltage requirements change with temperature (battery charging voltage goes up in cold weather). Especially useful if the batteries and the charge controller are not in the same space.

Lastly, as money allows, a Battery Monitor (or this brand too) is very nice. Much easier than measuring voltage and/or checking specific gravity every day. Especially handy if you have sealed batteries (like AGM) and/or spouse/kids/guests--They just have to look at the display and see what is required:
    • 75%<SOC (state of charge)--all OK
    • 50%<SOC<75%; watch loads, perhaps start genset next day if no sun and/or heavy loads are expected
    • 50%<SOC; start genset and recharge >80% SOC. If SOC remains below 50% or continues downward, call for help
    • 20%<SOC; turn off all loads, check generator, call for help--Battery bank in danger of permanent damage
    • Get SOC>90% a couple times a week for long battery life.
    Battery monitors are not perfect (you need to understand how they reset back to 100% full, as an example)--But it can save a battery bank from an early death.

-Bill