Recycling flooded lead acid batteries

Options
manzanita
manzanita Registered Users Posts: 37 ✭✭✭
I was recently looking at buying two T-105 batteries and inquiring about disposing my old batteries from a prior battery bank.

The battery retailer I saw first had good prices on new batteries, but they wanted me to pay $12 for each L-16 battery I was returning.

My local auto parts store, didn't have such a good price for their NAPA 8146 deep-cycle batteries (which may not be the same quality as the Trojans I was looking for), but they were willing to take my old batteries for free.

Since I have quite a few batteries to return, the latter was a better deal for me.

Ironically, I learned that the first retailer buys the returned batteries from the auto parts store, paying a core charge for each battery. So if he hadn't been greedy, he could have gotten all my old batteries for free, but now he will end up paying for them.

What is the usual policy for old battery returns? Where do you take your old batteries?

Comments

• peakbagger
    peakbagger Solar Expert Posts: 341 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Recycling flooded lead acid batteries

Last thing I knew old batteries were in demand for scrap value. Most of the automotive parts dealers in my area take them for free or will evenr give a samll amoutn of store credit. The local town recycling facilites also take them for free.

Now if they were Nicads, thats a completely different story! (they are hazardous waste and you have to pay to get rid of them
  • mikeo
    mikeo Solar Expert Posts: 386 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Last thing I knew old batteries were in demand for scrap value
    Around my area scrappers are paying 20 cents a pound for discarded batteries. I just sold about 1200 lbs worth of old telephone batteries and got about 240 dollars for my trouble.
  • James
    James Solar Expert Posts: 250 ✭✭
    Options

I also was paid good money for my scrap batteries in the past. If you have a local scrap metal recycling yard, they usually pay you money. If you have only one car type battery, my yards only give a about a dollar. But if you bring in a few or larger batteries, absolutely ask that they be weighed and get a weight ticket to take up to the cashier counter. Many yards won't advise you that they will pay by the pound. Ask polietely, but firmly. The more you bring in at once, the more they will pay per pound. Call ahead for a quote of the day, and remind them when you get there that they quoted you a price...otherwise, they just might say the price just dropped in the market....no kidding, it's happened to me at my local yard where they kinda even know me by sight.

also remember that walmart (or any other battery dealer) must charge you a core charge for a new battery....no sense taking your car battery to the yard for a buck, then paying $5 to walmart for not having a core to turn in.

just some thoughts...
  • solarvic
    solarvic Solar Expert Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

My brother just got 23 cents per lb. for a bunch of forktruck batterys his boss gave him. :Dsolarvic:D
  • SCharles
    SCharles Solar Expert Posts: 123 ✭✭
    Options

They are still valuable for scrap [lead acid batteries]. I was paid 0.26/lb a couple months back. There were two places within forty miles of my home buying them [scrap metal businesses]. They didn't even care whether I emptied the electrolyte. I got around $400, so it was definitely worth the drive.

By the way, besides lead, scrap metal of all types is in demand. I hauled in two pickup-truck loads of rusty old [steel] barrels, various and sundry other "junk" I had lying around, and ended up with about a hundred bucks. They were taking any metal and said the market is strong. It was a good time for me to get off my read and do some serious cleaning around here.
  • Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Slightly off Topic,

Note that the cash price for fresh Copper (NOT SCRAP price) is $3.75 US .. been on a tear recently. Needed to buy some THHN a few weeks ago, and thought that copper would have crashed just after that.

http://www.metalprices.com/

Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.