Solar Tied grid flare question

Options
Thomas
Thomas Solar Expert Posts: 291
Solar flares effect the grid(and dependancies, like my grid tie system?):confused:
If my system is relationally assuming up to 60% of my load during the daytime hours, how does/can that effect my prospectus if not accounted for, if need be at all? thank-you. My grid system is 7000Gwt River Bend Nuclear Power Plant in St. Francisville LA. Any input would be helpul
Always troubleshoot with adequate sunlight.  Hi Ho Hi Ho
2.3kW [10] Enecsys SMI-240-60 micro inverters

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options
    Re: Solar Tied grid flare question

Complex question, some good threads on EMP:

the " big solar flare" and PV

EMP protection
    Making a PV system survivable in EMP/CME conditions?
    Protection from Solar Flares
    Grid-untied

Short answer... Solar Flares are very low frequency events and (as I understand) affect wire networks that are on the scale of mile(s) long to act like an antenna to "receive" the energy.

So, your off-grid system should not be affected at all. However, if you have a grid connection, it is possible for that to be "affected" by surge currents from the utility network. And, I would guess, that turning off your main breakers or even popping the meter out of the socket are not really going to do much to save you equipment (may need need upwards of 6 feet or more of "air gap" to be "safe").

If you are in an area with Lightning, that is more than likely what would "kill" your Grid power and off-grid systems. Following standard lightning control and grounding practices will gain you a lot of protection there.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset