Inverter Question

RedNeckSolarMan
RedNeckSolarMan Solar Expert Posts: 34
Hello everyone, I have question or ideas on inverter for my system. I am looking for inverter that can handle 24 volts (two 12 volt marine batteries). Primary reason for solar system is to run couple rope lights. I am looking for inverter that is not expensive, something low cost. I tried inverters that both Walmart and Lowes sells and they stat in their manuals it can't handle 24 volts. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know and thank you.

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,591 admin
    Re: Inverter Question

Our host has 12-48 volt inverters.

However, 12 volt inverters tend to be the "cheap" models (you might have to go to Ebay to find cheap 24 volt versions).

Generally, the higher voltage inverters have higher wattage ratings--so for powering small loads, the inverter can actually draw more power than the load itself.

And, you do not want to run a 12 volt inverter from a 24 volt battery bank (there are ways to do it--but they add cost/complexity too).

If the rope lights are filament--You can use a MSW (modified square/sine wave) inverter. If the lights are LED, you may have to use only the (more expensive) TSW (true sine wave or pure sine wave PSW) inverter. MSW inverter have a "square wave" which can cause havoc with small appliances power supplies.

Probably the cheapest "good" TSW 24 volt inverter from our host would be:

wind-sun_2193_13271184Samlex 300 Watt 24 Volt Sine Wave Inverter
    Price: $141.75

A better one (more expensive):

wind-sun_2191_35289019Exeltech XP125 24-volt 125 watt sine wave inverter

Price: $240.00

You will have to read through the specs. to see which one would be more efficient for your application.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Shadowcatcher
    Shadowcatcher Solar Expert Posts: 228 ✭✭✭

It might be less expensive to switch the rope lights to 12V LED, depends on application. I am a big believer in parts left out don't go wrong.
  • silvertop
    silvertop Solar Expert Posts: 155 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have been looking at the Cotek S150-124. This is their smallest Pure sine wave inverter ,and lowest no load current draw .16 amps/24 volts. This is a 150 Watt/200 Watt surge inverter. I have found this under the Samlex name SA 150-124 $152.00 online.From what I have been told by an online dealer they are the same brand marketed under different names. I run the Cotek S 1500 1-24 that is 1500 Watts continuous surge to 2000 Watts and will run three minutes at 1800 watts I am very pleased with the quality of this inverter. It pulls 12 Watts current draw, while running,dropping to about 1.5-2 watts in search mode. I might run the 150 Watt as a 24-7 to run small clocks etc, allowing the 1500 to stay in search mode.:cool:
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,591 admin

Beware that most inverters are not really accurate enough to be useful powering "clocks" that get their timing from AC power... A "good" typical inverter maybe accurate to 0.1% or:
    • 60 seconds per min * 60 min per hour * 24 hour per day * 0.001 error = +/-86.4 seconds per day drift (typical worst case).
    For running normal equipment, frequency is less important.

A quick search of the web, I could not find the accuracy spec. for Samlex.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • silvertop
    silvertop Solar Expert Posts: 155 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just recently switched to 24 volt Cotek inverter; upgrading my battery bank to 24 volt. I will let you know how the clocks behave. I had good results with the Xantrex SW 2000 watt sine wave inverter when the battery bank was 12 volt. My wife would make occassional updates on the digital clocks, but it really wasn't a big deal. Time will tell (:Dno pun intended) with the Cotek.
  • RedNeckSolarMan
    RedNeckSolarMan Solar Expert Posts: 34

Thank you for feedback, sorry I did not reply back sooner, work related issues. But good info and ideas and will look into more on Cotek inverter pending on budget. But good start, thank you guys again for feedback.