PV import costs to Canada

Options
topper
topper Solar Expert Posts: 113 ✭✭
I'm feeling obligated to purchase from NAWS as this forum has helped me so much in the past 3 years with my preplanning. Any experience on import costs to Canada?
Thanks a bunch
Ken

Comments

• westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: PV import costs to Canada

Add at least $35 for ' border filing fees' paid to the courier plus 12% HST (BC).

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • Schmidt
    Schmidt Registered Users Posts: 12
    Options
    topper wrote: »
    I'm feeling obligated to purchase from NAWS as this forum has helped me so much in the past 3 years with my preplanning. Any experience on import costs to Canada?
    Thanks a bunch
    Ken

Hello Topper,

I work for a PV firm that services all Canada and almost 100% of our product is imported from the respective manufacturers. The total cost of a system will vary depending:

- Country of origin. Depending on the country, there will be tariffs associated with bringing the product into Canada.
    - Size and weight. What system / items do you need? Will you need to use freight transport?
    - You will need a broker; you can either source your own broker, or many couriers / freight companies can clear it, but this is typically more expensive.
    - The exchange rate: the highest rate (most expensive) will be if you use credit card. Lowest costs will be to have a foreign exchange provider to handle exchange and send a wire to the vendor.

There are a ton of factors and you want to make sure you know the total cost before you buy, or you will be stuck with a lot of extra expense you neve accounted for.

Hope this helps.
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options

WARNING:

Importing things into Canada can be unpleasant. Certain shipping carriers (not mentioning any names here) when they act as your "broker" charge outrageous fees, and GST on top of that.

Like Schmidt said, be sure you can find out the total cost before you spend the money. Nothing worse than having $100 worth of merchandise hung up at the border because some bozos with brown trucks want $200 for brokerage fees.

When are we going to get that free trade we were promised? :roll:
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Topper,

Have your goods dropped shipped to Williston,, and depending on how much you are importing,, drive down and get it. Rent a trailer if you have more than you can haul. Most goods will come in "duty" free, but is subjected to GST/PST/HST. Places like "the UPS store" will do drop shipping, but you could probably do better with a freight terminal.

To be sure, contact Canada Customs before you go, document what you are bringing back,, and it should be a piece of cake. I have always found it easier if I have documentation of the regs printed out from Canada Customs, since the folks at the gate don't always know the regs.

Good luck, Tony