Developing a Spring, Documented

Revolutionary
Revolutionary Registered Users Posts: 13
Greetings all;
We developed a spring at our house over the last year, installed the drywells this spring, had the drywells & tank fill pretty quickly.
I wrote a small documentary on it for people to read, some of you may find it helpful. I had a HARD time finding anyone who really knew abnout how to do this, so I thgout this stuff might be pretty useful to some.
Free water= a great thing-
The articel is here:

http://revrealty.us/offgrid-springs.html

Happy New Year to you all-
Chris

Comments

• niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Developing a Spring, Documented

i found that to be interesting reading even though i have piped water. i do know that surface water is more likely to have dry spells than the deeper drilled ones will. i know this as there is a stream that flows right under my home and i have seen this dry up many times. larger storage tanks (or more of them) would be good to back one up for those drier spells as 1000 gallons goes quicker than you think.
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭

Interesting reading. I'm VERY lucky to have great water from a year-round spring, no need to store it up.
    By the way, most folks around here use Ouija Boards instead of Water Witchers to get their water, finding them just as reliable but but without the cost :)
  • Revolutionary
    Revolutionary Registered Users Posts: 13
    niel wrote: »
    i found that to be interesting reading even though i have piped water. i do know that surface water is more likely to have dry spells than the deeper drilled ones will. i know this as there is a stream that flows right under my home and i have seen this dry up many times. larger storage tanks (or more of them) would be good to back one up for those drier spells as 1000 gallons goes quicker than you think.

Neil-It takes 4 days, minimum, for my family to use 1,000 gallons, and I have a 3,000 gallon storage tank above this one. Also, between the 2 drywells and the 1,000 gallon tank, it holds about 7,000 gallons, enough to go about a month w/o new water. If I combine my lower (spring) storage & my upper cistern, I'm holding onto 10,000 gallons.

Wayne, I alomst spit out when I read that; Ouija borads, huh?!!! That's funny, I wish we had water like that here. I moved here from Michigan, where wate ris like that, it's everywhere, basically. Here, like I was saying in the article, we have a lot of water, drill down a few hundred feet & you realy can't miss, but as springs go, you better have a clue as to where one is BEFORE you start playing...
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭

Haha Yeah, they walk around the property carrying a Ouija Board, and when they come to a place where there's water, their foot sinks in the wet soil, throwing them slightly off balance. This causes the slider to fall off the Ouija Board and they dig where it lands. Works every time, except one time they dug into the sewage disposal bed. Hahahahaha