Partnering with Solar company to sell commercial systems

Options
wakamesalad
wakamesalad Registered Users Posts: 7
Hello all, first I want to introduce myself. I am one of those bleeding heart liberal hippie communist fake American traitors that believes we can all have free, clean energy powering everything in our lives.

So that's the goal.

The steps toward reaching that goal start with people like us who are passionate (obsessive?) about renewable energy and, particularly, solar. The rest is history (and history can be [re]written).

I am an independent contractor working for a large national commercial insurance firm as a "loss control consultant." Basically I set up appointments with the Insureds to tour their buildings in order to document the condition of the structures and specifics of the utility systems. I see a mixture of apartment, mixed use, office, and industrial buildings. I decided to solicit solar companies with the idea of connecting my inside connection of property owners who are already customers of mine (inside sales) with their solar products in exchange for a commission or finder's fee.

I did get a response from "Real Goods Solar" based out of Colorado. They have been around since the 1970s and have a great financing plan available with no out of pocket expense to the property owner- the solar company would actually be leasing the roof space from the building owners and installing their equipment, then charging the owners electricity back to them at a reduced rate. There is also the option to buy them outright.

The representative from Real Goods said that I could make a 1% commission rate with them- this seems pretty low but I want to get a good representation of the industry standard before negotiating further.

So what should I look out for on my new venture? My goal is to make at least $1 million a year in commissions. Solar is apparently one of the only industries that is booming, so I think it's attainable!

Flying over cities all I see are empty roofs void of solar panels. I think I have what it takes ;)

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options
    Re: Partnering with Solar company to sell commercial systems

Just an FYI--This is, more or less, a solar RE/Conservation technical support forum and we do not support arranging business deals, introductions, etc...

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • wakamesalad
    wakamesalad Registered Users Posts: 7
    Options
    Re: Partnering with Solar company to sell commercial systems
    BB. wrote: »
    Just an FYI--This is, more or less, a solar RE/Conservation technical support forum and we do not support arranging business deals, introductions, etc...

-Bill

Perfect- because I want to learn about how these things work, after all! I will browse through the beginner's forum- looks like plenty of information to start. And I am not looking for business deals or partnerships, I have plenty of those as of now- mainly interested in finding out commissions for selling commercial solar.