little help getting started with an expandable system

Options
Down here in hot florida and looking to start putting together an expandable system with microinverters. $ is tight and comes in waves so an expandable system i think is what i want to go with.
The immediate goal would be to power small appliances and/or lights, midrange goal would be to be able to power a portable small AC and/or mini split in the master bedroom during a hurricane or extended power outage. Not looking to run everything but just the essentials during a possible emergency. Probably around 500-700 watts at night(fridge and fans)

Other than the panels,mounting kit, and microinverter what other equipment would i need to get going at least to power things when the sun is shining?
What add ons would i need to store the power and redistribute during the night hours?
What kind of battery bank(numbers of batteries,capacity) would i need to power small appliances at night?

A little help getting started would be appreciated, thank you so much in advance. Very impressed with the forum so far, have learned alot with the limited time i have been here.

Comments

• solar_dave
    solar_dave Solar Expert Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: little help getting started with an expandable system

Dave,
    Micro inverters are generally a grid tie setup and need the grid to operate, not a backup solution. They are probably the best way to do an incremental grid tie system.

Backup solutions need batteries to operate and generally don't lend themselves to incremental increases in capacity. The best designed systems are based upon the loads needed to run and designed and built one time according to those loads. Batteries are expensive, require mainteniance and are easily destroyed if mistreated.

If you are looking for a backup solution you need to get a handle on what the actual loads will be. Perhaps a LP/nat gas generator would be a better solution for a disaster backup. The fuel is stable over long term and dollar for dollar you can get more capacity using a generator. A small generator for your basic loads is pretty cost effective, and if you buy a reliable one can last years with minimal maintenance.