hardware for Trojan L-16RE batteries?

abrockca
abrockca Solar Expert Posts: 72 ✭✭✭✭
ok, heard from the battery dealer that they have our L-16RE batteries and the date code is L1 which means December, 2011; not sure how they jumped into the future to get these batteries, but at least they're recent (or 10 years old, one or the other). Maybe it's like magazines that always get dated ahead... Anyway, now just need to coordinate with our consultant's schedule and hope he isn't taking Thanksgiving week off!

Since the Trojans attach differently from the Surette's, I want to make sure I have enough hardware - I found a site that said the "through hole" diameter was 3/8ths ; so 5/16th bolts should work? I assume I want washers on either side of the hole? and regular nut or locking nut? Surrettes didn't need the bolt ; we just used washers & nuts...

How long should the bolt be?

(can you tell I never took a shop class?)

Anyway, any yeas or nays are greatly appreciated...

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Re: hardware for Trojan L-16RE batteries?

By the way, they probably skipped the letter "I". So they would have been built in november.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • abrockca

Thanks, Bill! good to know!
  • Fullpower
    Fullpower Solar Expert Posts: 69 ✭✭
    hardware for Trojan L-16RE batteries?

Stainless steel, 5/16 x 1-1/4
    I like to use 2 each flat, and one lockwasher for each connection, the inch and a quarter bolt leaves plenty of thread.
  • Joe_B
    Joe_B Solar Expert Posts: 318 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

My L16-REB's came with all the necessary stainless hardware.
  • abrockca

Thanks so much, Fullpower!

Joe_b, last time I had to provide my own hardware; this time I also ping'd the battery dealer and he says he'll send it along with the batteries... but think I want to have some on hand just in case. (trying to avoid the "three trips to the h/w store" that any project seems to require! or is it four trips?)
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

If you use stainless bolts and nuts--Make sure you put lots of anti-seize compound (typically a silver/copper/white looking grease from the local auto-parts store that is typically used on spark plugs and exhaust hardware) on the threads. Many grades of stainless steel hardware will seize when you just try and run the nut down the bolt--And the only solution is to cut the bolt or twist the bolt in half (usually pretty easy to do with stainless).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • abrockca

both of my consultants (wow, do I sound like Donald Trump here? not rich, just looking for good advice!) recommended stainless steel....so anti-seizure stuff is good advice!