MS Tristar MPPT 45 LED issues

bobdog
bobdog Solar Expert Posts: 192 ✭✭
Has anyone had issues understanding the LED lights on a Morningstar Tristar MPPT 45? I'm getting weird readings after installing it last week. They are supposed to read SOC (or conversely DOD). But I'm finding that after fulling charging them and letting them rest (voltage at 12.6) that the red light is coming on. That would indicate a SOC of 0-35%. When I know for a fact that the SOC is 100%. I wrote MS and the tech told me that the lights only worked during charging and that they weren't for measuring the SOC after you stop charging. In other words, they are simply there to tell you how far along your charging cycle is. Has anyone else heard this or am I being fed a load? Is there something wrong with my LEDs or the CC?

Thanks for the help.

Tim

Comments

• bobdog
    Re: MS Tristar MPPT 45 LED issues

Well, after exchanging emails with the tech department I thought I'd pass along that indeed the LED lights on the CC are only for showing where you are during the charging cycle. NOT actual DOD/SOC voltage after charging. In other words they are useless. I guess I'll have to get off my duff and install that battery meter I have sitting in a box.

Tim
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭

The LEDs provide a lot of information about what the controller is doing. That appears to be their main purpose, while battery state of charge function is only a half hearted after-thought. Really not of much value for that purpose, can't come close to a volt meter after letting the batteries rest for at least 3 hours, and that in turn isn't as good as checking SG.
  • bobdog

A volt meter was the only way at the time I was able to discern that I actually had juice in the batteries. Having the LED on red was a scary thought at the time. I couldn't figure out how I could go from 100% SOC to dead batteries. Pulled out the volt meter and confirmed that they were not dead. Whew!

Tim