Kyocera panel

Jim45D
Jim45D Solar Expert Posts: 102 ✭✭
Is there anyone here that can steer me to a location where I might purchase a Kyocera 80 watt panel. NAWS doesn't have them. Not even a 85 watter. I certainly would like all my panels to match. I have four of the 80's mounted already, but I think I might need an additional one. Help if you can. I do prefer to buy from NAWS, but I can reach a happy medium. It is for a RV installation.:confused:

Comments

• DavidOH
    DavidOH Solar Expert Posts: 112 ✭✭✭
    Re: Kyocera panel

I do not see any 80 watt panels.
    Kyocera does not make them anymore. I have not seen any listed for sale as new.
    The smallest I have seen are 135 watt.
    Your best bet may be picking them up used on eBay. Sad :(

http://www.kyocerasolar.com/project-solutions/solar-panels/current-products.htm

This is the closest match I could find. That's paying a hefty price for only 85 watts:
    http://www.solar-electric.com/so85wa12voso.html
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

You probably paid a pretty penny for those panels... And it would probably be "cheaper and better" to replace all of the existing panels with one or two larger panels (and you may need a MPPT charge controller too).

It is possible to mix and match panels based on Imp/Vmp and use a MPPT charge controller--but it is not always possible (for many reasons--area on roof, cost of new MPPT controller, simply cannot find a series/parallel connection to match Vmp/Imp in the new array while saving all existing panels--Such as run two x 80 panels in series, get one or two new panels to match Vmp of the first two, then connect to new MPPT controller).

Pretty much, these days, the best $/Watt pricing is for large panels (>100 watts) and those larger panels generally will not work with PWM controllers (Vmp>>17.5 volts typically used for 12 volt battery banks).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Jim45D

I bought three of these panels from NAWS, and yes they were in the hefty price range. I do have a 2000E MPPT charge controller from Bluesky, also purchased from NAWS. I was looking at their Solaetech 85 watt panel. It's reasonably priced. I'm limited in area on a RV roof. I wish I knew how to insert a photo I have of the existing installation.
  • Crotalus
    Crotalus Solar Expert Posts: 26

Jim45,

It appears that you can still buy them. I found this by a simple Google search. There were several hits. Here is one.

http://www.wholesalesolar.com/pdf.folder/module%20pdf%20folder/KC85T.pdf
    http://www.wholesalesolar.com/products.folder/module-folder/kyocera/KC85T.html

This replaces the KC80-1 panel.

The sharp NE-80EJEA has very similar electrical characteristics but with a very different physical size. Also BP makes a 80 watt panel with the physical size of the Sharp.
  • Jim45D

Thank you, I just called Wholesale Solar, and they tell me that the panel in question has been discontinued. Now, of course they have the larger panels in excess of 200 watts. I'm probably going to have to go with the Solartec 85 watter from NAWS.
  • Windsun
    Windsun Solar Expert Posts: 1,164 ✭✭

The KC85 was discontinued almost a year ago, and pretty much all existing inventory is long gone.

However, our price on the KD-135 is cheaper than what the KC85 was selling for, and same voltage so could be tied in parallel.
  • Crotalus
    Crotalus Solar Expert Posts: 26
    Windsun wrote: »
    The KC85 was discontinued almost a year ago, and pretty much all existing inventory is long gone.
    This is very interesting. Last year I tried to find a BP 380J to match one that I had and was told that it was no longer available. I ended up getting a Sharp NE-80EJEA because it was the closest match electrical and especially the mechanical size that I could find. Sometimes the physical size is more important than the cost per watt. Are manufactures dropping all of the smaller panels?
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

change does occur in most technologies and the higher output pvs are more common with something like 80w as now somewhat obsolete and not in large demand. you may need to make some other kind of adjustment if you can't find something close to them.
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭

Sharp discontinued under 200 Watt panels. And here's me with four 175's and wanting more! Never mind; I've already devised a work-around. ;)

But it looks like the small (under 100 Watt) panels are going the way of the dinosaurs.
  • TDSolarguy
    TDSolarguy Solar Expert Posts: 31 ✭✭

Well, it's not a Ktocera panel but it is 80 watts. It might do what you need it to do. Oh, be advised that they don't come with any MC4 Connecters on the back of the panel.

http://www.solarblvd.com/Solar-Panels-&-Systems-Individual-Solar-Panels-55---95-Watt-(7)/c1_25_41/p1331/Solar-Cynergy-80-Watt-12-Volt-Solar-Panel/product_info.html

Regards

TDSolarguy
  • Jim45D

OK. I like the Kyocera KD135. But, how's that going to fit voltage wise with 16.9, or 17 volts presently on the 4 Kyocera panels that I presently have connected in parallel? I did ask that question via a telephone conversation with a young lady sometime back. Just what variable voltage can I have, other than being exact? I realize the amps will add in a parallel connection, but I've also been told that the voltages have to be the same. It probably doesn't matter with a few tenths differance. Anyway, that why I was leaning toward the Solartech 85 watter panel. That was her (the techs) advice. We're talking about a differance of 17.7v vs. 16.9v., or in the vicinity of approximately 1 volt diff.
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Jim45D wrote: »
    OK. I like the Kyocera KD135. But, how's that going to fit voltage wise with 16.9, or 17 volts presently on the 4 Kyocera panels that I presently have connected in parallel? I did ask that question via a telephone conversation with a young lady sometime back. Just what variable voltage can I have, other than being exact? I realize the amps will add in a parallel connection, but I've also been told that the voltages have to be the same. It probably doesn't matter with a few tenths differance. Anyway, that why I was leaning toward the Solartech 85 watter panel. That was her (the techs) advice. We're talking about a differance of 17.7v vs. 16.9v., or in the vicinity of approximately 1 volt diff.

You can put panels of any different amounts of Vmp in parallel; it's a matter of how much power you want to lose. The rule-of-thumb around here is "no more than 10% difference" because by then you're losing significant Watts.

Take the lower Vmp and multiply it by 1.1: 16.9 * 1.1 = 18.59 so that's good with the Kyocera 135's 17.7 Vmp.
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

that's pretty close to the 5% i like to recommend. if it fits physically then go for it.
  • Jim45D

Well, thanks to you Cariboocoot, Niel, and all others here, you have helped me make up my mind once and for all. The voltage differance's had me stumped, and at a stalemate for months. That, and the money to make the proper purchase. I went back to the panel area here and looked once again. I found the Kyocera 135SX, with a junction box for $30.00 over what I had antisipated spending. That's OK. It will now give me what I was trying to accomplish all along....400 watts ontop of my RV. As it turns out I will gain an additional 55 watts, and figuring the amp gain of 7.63 compared to my 80 watt Kyocera's it will now give me ample amperage too. 4 x 4.63 equaling 18.52 amps, with the additional panel, now at 26.15 once the install is completed. I have the 25 amp SolarboostE which will accomondate the extra few amps anyway. Thanks once again. Niel, the panel will fit, actually I could fit more of the 135's. However, now I have all I need. I'm just waiting for you guys to invent a single panel that will fit, and run the A/C units. Hell, there's only two of them! Thanks so much. What I like best is the fact that they're, the panels, are all one brand. Kyocera. All except one, the rest purchased from NAWS. But, all Kyocera.