Gas generator recommendations

TDSolarguy
TDSolarguy Solar Expert Posts: 31 ✭✭
Greetings
I am looking into purchasing a small generator as a backup to run my refrigerator if we have a power outage. Don't need it for anything else as I have a wood stove and more Coleman rechargeable lanterns then I need. What is a good low coast under 500.00 $ generator that you can recommend? Looking at the 1000 watt models.

Regards
TDSolarguy

Regards
TDSolarguy

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Re: Gas generator recommendations

Here's a whole thread on peoples' generator experiences: http://forum.solar-electric.com/showthread.php?t=9774

Under $500 gets to be a bit tricky, as that eliminates the quality inverter-generators from Yamaha & Honda. In that price range you'd be looking at a fixed RPM type. Beware of "no name" units and 2-stroke engines.

You'd probably be looking at something like this: http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/6/Tools/ShopEquipment/Generators/PRD~0550314P/Champion+1500W+Gas+Generator.jsp?locale=en

I'd rate that one as "not as bad as some, not as good as others". :roll:
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭

Look on Craigslist,, and find a good used Onan or Honda EX series if you can find them. Often you will find them under ~$500 from people who have bought them for "emergencies" who soon forget that things can happen,,, again.

Tony

http://portland.craigslist.org/search/?areaID=9&subAreaID=&query=generator&catAbb=sss
  • TDSolarguy

Well, I kind of figured that I wouldn't get a Cadillac generator for my 500.00 $ price range but the Champion is sold here locally at O-Reily's auto parts store. Craigslist is a great idea as well. Maybe I will go another year and save up for a Honda generator. I need to study up on this one. Hopefully, we wont have a power outage soon.

Thanks guys
  • icarus

In general,,you get what you pay for,, and the auto parts store gennies are POS's, and will not last terribly long, nor deliver stable voltage and frequencies.

Like I said, there are always tons of used gennies on CL. I have bought several Honda Eus on CL for under $500

Tony
  • Cariboocoot

And if you're going for running the 'frige, pick the Honda 2000 over the 1000 or pick the Yamaha 2400. In other words, make sure it really is over 1 kW; sometimes model numbers are a bit deceiving. :roll:
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    TDSolarguy wrote: »
    Maybe I will go another year and save up for a Honda generator.
    Thanks guys

One thing for sure, if you go this route, you won't be spending years regretting your decision.
  • TDSolarguy

Went to the Honda motorcycle dealership and looked over the Honda EU1000i. Wow. This is a super nice unit. Will even look at the EU2000i as well. More things we could run and still small enough to take on our camping trips. I have made up my mind. A Honda it will be.
    I don't mind saving up for this. My wife and I set up our solar by saving and buying as we could afford. Took four months to get it where it is today. Cash is King. We are a Dave Ramsey lifestyle couple and empty nest now.

Thanks to all for your help.

Regards
  • DavidOH
    DavidOH Solar Expert Posts: 112 ✭✭✭
    TDSolarguy wrote: »
    . I have made up my mind. A Honda it will be.

Good choice! I bought a Coleman (Pre-Y2K) when they had Kawasaki engines in them.
    Now they have some cheap Chinese crap.

Honda is expensive, but well made, reliable, lighter weight and dependable.
    Worth the extra cost.
  • D_A_N
    D_A_N Registered Users Posts: 8

My friend has multiple Hondas, 1, 2 and 3k EU's. He loves them all and after camping with him I decided to start shopping for a small generator. After comparing Honda and Yamaha, I wound up buying a Yamaha because it has a fuel gauge. The one time I was hunched over it in the dark with a flashlight in my teeth refueling it, I knew I made the right decision.
  • Cariboocoot

I agree with you Dan; the two worst things about the Honda are the inability to see the fuel level accurately (they couldn't put a sight gauge on the tank?) and the pain-in-the-anatomy oil fill/drain. You need to rig up a tube for draining it without spilling it all over and a 'V' funnel helps to refill.
  • icarus

For servicing all engines, including my trucks, boats, mowers, any 4 cycle engine the best tool ever invented is a hand vacuum pump.; http://www.amazon.com/AutoSport-Hand-Pump-Oil-Extractor/dp/B002YJ9VTG

I never pull a drain plug any more. I have done numerous tests, using the oil pump and then pulling the drain plug. I never get more than a drop or two of oil after using the oil pump, so I don't bother pulling the plug. You can do an oil change on a vehicle wearing a coat and tie,, without ever crawling under,, unless the filter is under.

A few pumps of the handle, and it will suck a small engine dry in ~ 15 seconds.

Tony
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

One of the neat things about the Honda eu1000i and eu2000i--They have internal fuel pumps that can pull a slight vacuum. (I do not know about other models or brands capabilities).

Buy/make a fuel cap with a plastic hose and barb fitting on the top... Fill the euX000i fuel tank, and drop the other end of the line in a 5 gallon fuel can. It will pull the fuel from the 5 gallon tank until it is dry.

You can find websites with DIY information, or you can buy complete external fuel tank kits (not cheap).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • samuel
    samuel Solar Expert Posts: 80 ✭✭✭✭

Thumbs up for Honda. Have both an EU3000 and EU2000. The engines will outlast you. In over 20 years of small engines (pumps, lawn mowers, generators) neither me nor my Dad have ever had a complaint with quality. I'll also give props to Honda for making engines that start well in the cold. If you don't buy a Honda generator at least look for one with a Honda engine.

If money is an issue, a used Honda may be an option if you can track one down.
  • TDSolarguy

Our local Honda dealer has the new Honda EU2000i for 1049.95$. The sales rep told me that they are no longer going to stock the EU1000i because the difference is only a few dollars apart and no one is buying them . Wife gave the OK yesterday for the purchase for the EU2000i. Should have it in about three months.

Regards

TDSolarguy
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

You can get one over the Internet for about $100 less (last I checked--but inflation/dollar collapse may have affected the prices). Wise and Mayberry are two I know of with good reputations (in times past).

The eu1000i was ~$250 less.

Get the generator that matches your load requirements. The eu2000i is going to be a bit more handy for generic loads. The eu1000i cheaper and (hopefully) less fuel if you have very light AC loads (and no large surge current like a fridge/freezer).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • icarus

Price is not the only reason to make purchase choices. Spending a few dollars buying from a local dealer, supporting the local economy, but also allowing a local dealer net work to survive this internet age, with local service and parts.

That said, a dealer who does not deserve our support due to poor customer service,,should not get our support. The reality is the internet has changed the way we do (and price) everything. The long and short of it is that we may not care about anything but price,, but if you don't support local businesses, they won't be there if you need them.

Veering too close the the political precipice,,,

Tony

PS With most things,, I tend to buy good used stuff, mostly because of price. For example, I think the last Eu1000 I bought was ~ $250, the other $350, each essentially new.

T