Electromagnetic Pulse

13»

Comments

• niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Electromagnetic Pulse

most likely the dish itself amplified the emp even though the emp alone could have popped that sensitive preamp. i don't know how you could've averted that as there was the potential in any direction the dish was aimed at for this lightning emp.
  • XRinger
    XRinger Solar Expert Posts: 529 ✭✭✭
    niel wrote: »
    most likely the dish itself amplified the emp even though the emp alone could have popped that sensitive preamp. i don't know how you could've averted that as there was the potential in any direction the dish was aimed at for this lightning emp.

I could have pointed it down towards the house, or up in birdbath mode.
    But, it was left at the last elevation where it had been used.
    Since it was pointed right at the lightning bolt, it just got way too many micro-volts..
    Maybe a few million uV!
  • bmet
    bmet Solar Expert Posts: 630 ✭✭
    XRinger wrote: »
    It just gives me the creeps to know my Microwave oven can't keep a 915 mHz
    pager (with a very tiny receive antenna) from hearing a weak signal, from a paging transmitter miles away..

You still have a pager? :D
  • SolaRevolution
    SolaRevolution Solar Expert Posts: 410 ✭✭

Several years ago I asked an Outback guy (either Roy or Christopher) about the sealed version of the FX inverters and EMPs.

Apparantly, as I understood it, half of the original "Men In Black" (engineers at Outback) came from Trace when Xantrex took over and the other half had been working on power supplies for missile guidance systems. (I always thought the FX inverters had a very rugged "military" look to them.)

Anyway, I asked if the design would protect against EMPs caused by nuclear detonations. His response was "If you survive but your inverter does not, give us a call."
    :cool:

Alex

BTW; Outback does (or did) also make sealed FX which is a "M" version (military) which I was told is designed to be submersible as well.
  • boB
    boB Solar Expert Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭✭
    Several years ago I asked an Outback guy (either Roy or Christopher) about the sealed version of the FX inverters and EMPs.

Apparantly, as I understood it, half of the original "Men In Black" (engineers at Outback) came from Trace when Xantrex took over and the other half had been working on power supplies for missile guidance systems. (I always thought the FX inverters had a very rugged "military" look to them.)

Anyway, I asked if the design would protect against EMPs caused by nuclear detonations. His response was "If you survive but your inverter does not, give us a call."
    :cool:

Alex

BTW; Outback does (or did) also make sealed FX which is a "M" version (military) which I was told is designed to be submersible as well.

Yes, Robin (the one on the right wearing the black wig and who founded OutBack) and Greg (the one on the left with the O-scope probe around his hat), both worked at Eldec (now Crane Aerospace) in the 1980s. All of us, except for one in that picture advert worked at Trace/Xantrex.

I like that response that whoever gave you !

boB
  • niel

it is a good answer, but the phones might be dead too.:cry:
  • techntrek
    techntrek Solar Expert Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭

Don't worry, the cell sites all have genset backups. 8)
    4.5 kw APC UPS powered by a Prius, 12 kw Generac, Honda EU3000is
  • niel
    techntrek wrote: »
    Don't worry, the cell sites all have genset backups. 8)

what good is that if all of the electronics in the phone system has blown out?
  • techntrek

Notice my smiley-with-shades on that post. Joke! ;)
  • niel

that means cool and is not an indicator of a joke, but ok. :p
  • techntrek

Cool. 8)