unknown device

simagic
simagic Solar Expert Posts: 100 ✭✭✭✭
Almost every day I unplug my computer from 110v, I turn on my inverter, I then re-plug the computer into my inverter. Later in the day when the sun goes down I reverse this procedure. I struggle with getting the plugs in and out and out and in. It would be great if there was a device like this (in my attachment), but I'm unable to find anything like this. Does anyone know of such a switch??ATTACH]2198[/ATTACH]. Sorry, I don't know how to pivot it around........Thanks

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Re: unknown device

It's called a transfer switch.
    Usually they're big, expensive things for swapping loads from one power source (like utility) to another (like generator).

But for this application you could make your own if you're handy with basic wiring.
    Double pole, double throw, center off switch would be the key. The load (one computer) is relatively light so you do not need a 200 Amp switch!
    If you were certain of the inverter's output (not MSW) you'd technically only have to switch the 'hot' side. For that you could get away with a '3-way' switch available at any electrical supply.

It's all a matter of how comfortable you are with a little home wiring.
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: unknown device

You want to make sure that your double pole/double throw switch is "break then make" so that you are assured that you don't send power from one energized line to the other.

Iota makes a real transfer switch that is automatic,,:

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?client=safari&rls=en&q=iota+transfer+switch&oe=UTF-8&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=11911882808632225606&sa=X&ei=Llu0TtnSGIi02AWG5tTMDQ&ved=0CFsQ8wIwAA#ps-sellers

Our site sponsor used to sell them, but I didn't see them on their home site. I would ask there first,, ~$70. I use one to isolate the genny input to my house from the inverter.

Tony

PS Midnight solar makes ones as well that do show up on the NAWS site.

t