Noise from batteries when charge!

Hello all
i have a small scale offgrid system, its build with
2X190W (40V 8A) system
Morningstar tristar 45 +RTS sensor
2X12X2 (24V) trojan tmx24 batteries.

the system is up and running for the last 2 days. now i check the system and the controller in the morning, the tristar is blinking green and when i open the battery bay i can hear a noise of water inside the battery, when touching the batteries i dont feel that there hot but there a smell of a little bit of acid.

testing with multimeter , the controller is pusing 28V into the batteries even when its in blinking mode.

i be greatful for any advice!
thanks

Comments

• drew4justice
    drew4justice Solar Expert Posts: 36
    Re: Noise from batteries when charge!

I had this happen as well. It sounds alarming but it's just your batteries gassing. What your hearing is bubbles rising from the plates during the absorbtion phase, making hydrogen. The tristar indicated absorbtion mode when your green LED turns on for 1/2 second and then off for 1/2 second.
    Just be sure you have the controller set with the right voltages which can be provided from the battery manufacturer, hopefully.
    Make sure you have proper ventillation as well.
  • prince_77
    prince_77 Solar Expert Posts: 31

thank u very much for the answer
    how can i tell what set i need to calibrate the tristar45, its bit confussing

i have trojan 24tmx
    http://usabatterysales.com/pd-trojan-24-tmx-85-ah-deep-cycle-battery-free-delivery-most-location-in-the-lower-48.cfm

thank u very much again for your help and advices
  • drew4justice

According to the 24TMX spec sheet, they don't post an absorbtion voltage, but they do post something called "daily charge" as follows:

Daily charge (absorbtion?): 29.6
    Float 26.4
    Equalization: 31.0

Assuming 'daily charge' is equivalant to the absorption, you could set the tristar dip switches as follows (ASSUMING IT's the MPPT 45 CONTROLLER):
    dip switch - setting
    1 - off
    2 - on
    3 - off
    4 - on
    5 - off
    6 - on

This will set the following:
    24v system
    absorption to 29.4V
    float to 27V
    eq to 30.8

Since these values aren't spot-on, you should figure out how to set custom values which you can enter I believe by connecting a serial cable. You don't want to consistantly cook/boil your batteries. Mine buble often, but it doesn't sound like a "rolling boil", just a low bubbling sound..

Trojan has great support. Call their 800 number and press option 1 for support. Ask them for the recommended absorption voltage.
  • prince_77

wow, thank u very much for the answer, my controller is PWM and not MPPT, i wish i got the Mppt but its too late now
    is the setting need to be change also in the DIP if its PWM and not MPPT ?

thanks again
  • drew4justice

I can't advise you because I don't have experience with that unit.

A quick peek online with the dip switch settings I provided would put this unit at:
    29.6 PWM (ie; absorbtion?) - spot on with the requirements for the battery
    26.8 Float - .4v higher than required.
    30.6 Equalize - .4v lower than required.

Again, I believe you can set custom values for your controller as well. Check out your documentation or call Morningstar. They have great customer service as well.

Perhaps someone will chime in who owns the same unit.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

You can download/read the TriStar PWM controller manual from here:

www.morningstarcorp.com/en/tristar

And watch the battery bank and how it performs... Monitor Specific Gravity with a Hydrometer... Or if you like electronics, Battery Monitors are very nice and great for spouses/kids/visitors so they don't destroy your expensive batteries.

Also, how much water a flooded cell battery uses will be helpful too... If you are using no water--you probably need to up the charging voltage/absorb time.

If you are adding water more than once every two months per cell (on average)--Then you may want to crank the time down and/or drop the voltages a bit.

Some people set the absorb timer longer for winter (3-4 hours?) and shorter in summer (2 hours?).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • prince_77

Thanks for the answer, i will call morningstar to check,
    a small question for a beginner, what is the obsorb stage that happend in the battery ?

thanks again
  • Slappy
    Slappy Solar Expert Posts: 251 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    prince_77 wrote: »
    what is the obsorb stage that happend in the battery ?

thanks again

http://www.windsun.com/Batteries/Battery_FAQ.htm read this, has good info!
  • prince_77
    Slappy wrote: »

thank u very much for the link
    according to the info
    "Note that flooded batteries MUST bubble (gas) somewhat to insure a full charge, and to mix the electrolyte. "

so the noise of bubbles and bit smell of acid is ok ?
    because the sound i heard it bubbles but strong
  • Fullpower
    Fullpower Solar Expert Posts: 69 ✭✭
    Noise from batteries when charge!

Those bubbles are the sound of HAPPY Batteries, as long as you keep them watered,
    and they are NOT hot to the touch, you are doing alright.
    Depending upon cell Temperature, 2.35 to 2.50 volts per cell is a good range for charging voltage. A bit less in high temps, and a bit more in sub freezing temps.
  • MiamiSunrise
    MiamiSunrise Registered Users Posts: 22

The Rolls S-530 batteries I'm used to will often make very noticeable gurgles, burps, and farts while absorbing. On occasion they also gurgle (like, every few hours) during float.

One great thing about this: you can blame it on the batteries if you let one slip.

Just saying.

When you equalize the batteries, expect angry rumbles and a slight amount of heating (terminate the equalize charge immediately if they start to get bathwater warm or above) ... as well as some really dodgy odors. :p
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭

Please also note, that while the bubbling and gurgling is quite normal, it highlights the need for proper battery box venting. Hydrogen is very explosive, and allowing it to build to large concentrations is very dangerous. Consider a Zepher type fan, along with a voltage controlled switch.

Tony
  • Blackcherry04
    Blackcherry04 Solar Expert Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭

You'll be surprised on how much of the Hydrogen gas will get trapped between the plates as a battery ages. Sulfation will build on the plates and block it's escape. I never use bus bars and use cable so that I can rock /shake / bounce the batteries so they will let it out after a full charge, I call it "Burping". It's my belief that if you leave it , that it contributes to a loss in capacity. Where ever the gas is trapped it keeps the electrolyte from getting to the plates. Just a rubber mallet and a little tap on the case is enough on a big battery sometimes, you'll hear it let go.

Once you see a battery expelling electrolyte at rest, that is a indication that sulfation has blocked the gases escape.