Suresine Inverer Faults

Mello Mike
Mello Mike Registered Users Posts: 15
I finished this installation today (had to wait for my new DC 100 amp fuse block). As soon as I attached the positive leads to the new fuse block I immediately got red lights and alarms on both the Status and AC output LEDs. As soon as I removed the jumper from the switch leads both alarms clear. If I put DIP Switch 1 in the UP STANDBY position, with the jumper removed, the status LED goes red; once I put DIP Switch 1 back in the down position the alarm clears.

I tested everything before ordering the DC fuse block/fuse and everything worked fine. Now with everything hooked up I get major alarms. Any ideas what the problem could be?

Comments

• waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Suresine Inverer Faults
    Mello Mike wrote: »

I tested everything before ordering the DC fuse block/fuse and everything worked fine.

So everything worked fine before you installed the new fuse block? Just asking to be sure, as some of the rest of the post confuses me on that question.
    Sounds like either there's a short/overload on the AC output, or there's been a failure in the output circuitry. As soon as it tries to turn on, it goes into alarm.
    Make sure there is NO AC load whatever on the inverter, and try it again. If it still goes into alarm, then it is likely an internal failure.
  • Mello Mike
    Re: Suresine Inverter Faults

Found the problem on the AC side, as I suspected. Found a short. The ground wire that I had cut since it's not needed on the AC side had pierced the hot lead after I had pushed the connections back in the junction box.

A little troubleshooting found the problem. After disconnecting the AC wiring from the inverter, both faults immediately cleared. Then I opened up the junction box but didn't see anything obvious. After reconnecting the wires to the inverter, wham!!!! BIG SPARK! It was easy from there.

Thanks, Wayne, for the assist.

Mike
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

A bigger inverter will have helped the debugging. ;)

-Bill "more power" B. :D
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • waynefromnscanada
    BB. wrote: »
    A bigger inverter would have helped the debugging. ;)
    -Bill "more power" B. :D

Hahaha Bigger inverter, bigger sparks and maybe even some smoke? :p:p

Glad all turned out OK there Mike. We were really hoping it was just a short somewhere on the AC side. I love those little inverters and sometimes find it hard to believe how tough and well designed they are. Way to go Morningstar!
  • Mello Mike
    Hahaha Bigger inverter, bigger sparks and maybe even some smoke? :p:p

Glad all turned out OK there Mike. We were really hoping it was just a short somewhere on the AC side. I love those little inverters and sometimes find it hard to believe how tough and well designed they are. Way to go Morningstar!

Ha, Ha, you guys are funny.

Now I'm thinking about a DC cutoff switch. The inverter always draws 25ma in standby when not in use. Those parasitic loads will draw down a battery if you're not careful.
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭

Put a real kill switch on the main battery lead, eliminating all parasitic loads.

T.
  • Mello Mike
    icarus wrote: »
    Put a real kill switch on the main battery lead, eliminating all parasitic loads.

T.

My camper already has one, but the suresine doesn't feed off this main lead.
  • waynefromnscanada
    Mello Mike wrote: »
    My camper already has one, but the suresine doesn't feed off this main lead.

@ 25 ma standby, that adds up to 0.6 (6/10) amp hour per 24 hour day. That's not really much for a battery in regular use. Many cars have their computers using a lot more than that when the car is just sitting in the garage.
    If it's not being used, or the batteries aren't being kept charged, then by all means disconnect it, otherwise all things considered, it may not be worth the effort, but that's something only you can decide.
  • Mello Mike
    @ 25 ma standby, that adds up to 0.6 (6/10) amp hour per 24 hour day. That's not really much for a battery in regular use. Many cars have their computers using a lot more than that when the car is just sitting in the garage.
    If it's not being used, or the batteries aren't being kept charged, then by all means disconnect it, otherwise all things considered, it may not be worth the effort, but that's something only you can decide.

True, I suppose I shouldn't worry about it especially since the camper has solar.