Safety LED lights for Motorcycle that are wind powered?

rollandelliott
rollandelliott Solar Expert Posts: 834 ✭✭
Anyone know of a product like this:
Safety LED lights for Motorcycle that are wind powered, that is brighter?
http://www.snowanddirtgear.com/HJC-Windlight-LED-Helmet-Light_p_818.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRyOhadOOXk

shows it in action, but honestly it looks so dim, I wonder how effective it is. Would i be better off with a battery pack and some bright bicycle lights mounted on helmet for safety/visibility?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/280755491791?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

seems like a good product. Now that days are getting shorter and I need to ride at night more I'm paranoid about my visibility. I've already got reflective tape and blinking led lights on my bike, but I think a light on my noggin would really help get me noticed.

I know it's not a typical wind power question, mods feel free to move it to appropriate forum section.

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Re: Safety LED lights for Motorcycle that are wind powered?

The term "idiot product" comes to mind.
    Where, exactly, is the advantage?
    A powered LED lights the same regardless of the power source: battery or mini turbine.
    Only the battery has consistent output at "any speed".

About a million years ago when I could still ride a bike we had "generator lights" that were driven off the tire. They never ran out of power like the battery lights, until you slowed or stopped. My solution was to install some significant capacitor to keep them glowing evenly. They'd last a few seconds even while stopped, and that was with regular light bulbs. We didn't have LED's then, nor the wonders of rechargable batteries or IC Voltage regulators. We also didn't have regs requiring lights and reflectors all over or helmets and pads or ... And yet somehow we survived.

I'd go with battery powered LED lights if I were you.
  • solarvic
    solarvic Solar Expert Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭✭

Why not just have a pulsating headlight control? They really get my attention when driving a car? Here in Pa. you have to drive defensivly and hope you don,t hit a deer. I got 2 of them so far with my motorcycle, or would I say they got me. :Dsolarvic:D
  • rollandelliott

thanks for both responses. I already have pulsating front lights, it's the people about to rear end me who's attention I'd like to grab. Nothing's idiot proof when it comes to driving, but a few more lights wouldn't hurt.
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    thanks for both responses. I already have pulsating front lights, it's the people about to rear end me who's attention I'd like to grab. Nothing's idiot proof when it comes to driving, but a few more lights wouldn't hurt.

Amen to that!
    Sometime I think I need flashing yellow strobes on the top of my 3/4 ton van; it seems to be completely invisible to many drivers even though it's the size of a small building. :roll:
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭

After many years on motorbikes, I sure would not bother with wind driven LED lights. These lights use so little power that the existing bike electrical system wouldn't even notice the added load, wouldn't dim or go out when you stop, and you wouldn't have the maintenance of the turbines etc.
    As a toy - - perhaps. As a useful tool? Not.
  • solar_dave
    solar_dave Solar Expert Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭

I have a few on my old Harley and they run for hours while parked off the battery no issue.
  • rollandelliott

it's not really about the power usage
    it is more convience.

If you power it conventionally..... then you need to stick a battery back in the helmet or inside your jacket and plug it in.

wind is nice in that regard, no cords and no charging needed.
  • solar_dave
    solar_dave Solar Expert Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭
    it's not really about the power usage
    it is more convience.

If you power it conventionally..... then you need to stick a battery back in the helmet or inside your jacket and plug it in.

wind is nice in that regard, no cords and no charging needed.

Hmmm I thought the title here was for MC, did I miss something?
  • rollandelliott

wound up getting a led light for a pedal bike and battery pack off ebay. thanks for all the suggestions.