Have a Few questions????

Ok Im a new guy on here...

I have panels,charge controlers and batteries running a work trailer and my toy hauler. Everything works great.. Im just a DIY Guy playing with this stuff..

So now that I would love to start tying to the grid. Im not sure on the rules with APS.. I know from reading you cant make your own panels. Thats ok. I have an in with a retailer to get my stuff for a good price.

Mounting the panels on the roof is not a big deal to me. And wiring them is not a problem. Can you buy the unit that the panels connect to the grid.

The big question is.. Are you allowed to set up the system and then have it oked and have APS ok what you have done and connect you.

Or is for Installers only....????

I see they have your hands tied into useing An Installer unless you go off grid completly.

Sorry if this is a repost but I did a search and could not find anything.

Please clear up any mystery to this question.. I have another buisness and get asked this question allot when this conversation comes up.

Thanks

Comments

• niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Have a Few questions????

i'm not sure if you are asking to grid tie these work trailers or not, but if so it i don't think it's worth it as it is only temporarily tied.

as far as installs go many will allow self installs on their own properties, but it will need inspected so you'd want it done right the first time just as the inspector would want it. even if no inspector then it still needs the power company's approval for the tie in.

the thing that ties to the grid is really your service breaker box, but i know you are asking of the grid tie inverter that connects the pvs to the service breaker box.

what is aps?
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin

Sorry, The work trailers were just an example of I can do it.

SO everything must be inpected but are you allowed to do it yourself. APS is Arizona Power and Light

So why cant you just get a Grid tie power inverter and plug into an outlet. Is it Illegal???
  • solarvic
    solarvic Solar Expert Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭✭

It is illegal. Contact your power co and they will give you the requirements. In Pa I mostly did a self install and hired an electrician to help at the end. Had to get permits and inspections. :Dsolarvic:D
  • System2

I kind off got that impression it was illegal after watching UTube.

The grid tie inverters just plug into any of your house outlets.. Thats Crazy.
    But hey Ive got 4 extra panels lying around and these grid tye inverters 2500w are only 500 bucks...

I guess you can slow down the smart meters or make them stop but not go backwards...
  • solar_dave
    solar_dave Solar Expert Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭

Generally for APS you will need an engineering drawing of the proposed connection along with a interconnect agreement, a permit from your local code department and their inspection, i am not sure if you have to have an electrician but the code approval will go much easier if done by a licensed electrician.

On my APS install, even the electrician got dinged a couple times by the city of Glendale code guy at acceptance. The engineer from the installer company struggled to get the permits accepted. All that has to be done before APS will issue the interconnect acceptance.

BTW, Glendale require a tighter interpretation of the NEC, YMMV in your municipality. If you get caught installing a generation source APS can and will disconnect you. Your insurance company may invalidate you homeowners. APS does monitor your bill for any sizable reductions and will come a looking and most of the smart meters will know you are back feeding the grid.
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    vmaxup wrote: »
    I guess you can slow down the smart meters or make them stop but not go backwards...

From what I understand, yes, you can slow them down and maybe even stop them, but when you start pumping power back into the grid, giving your utility your electricity, the meter starts going again, charging YOU for the power that you're giving THEM. Gotta love their precious little hearts. :p
  • niel

plugging into your wall outlet is illegal. it needs to be hardwired to the breaker panel and inspected after the power company approves of the tie in. there are many threads here on the forum spelling out what gt involves and i'm not one who usually just says to go and read, but solar just isn't that plug and play and trying to make it so could create hazards that many would not recognize as a hazard.
  • System2

I would not doubt they would come snooping around and the smart meter will for sure show up for running backwards.

I had the gas company with 3 trucks out front 2 years ago. They had my meter all tore apart to see if it was tampered with... I was burning wood instead..

I guess they have your hands tied you cant save any money unless you spend 20 grand......Glad were in America land of the FREE!

If Im spending that much coin Ill go full Solar and buy batteries and Inverters....

Are There any other options..

Is there a drawing of what the codes or what the submitted drawings should be in Arizona?

I know I could do it but would like to see what they want.
  • niel

there are 3 general ways of approaching solar.
    1 grid tie no backup. you sell to the power company and is the most efficient.
    2 grid tie with backup. involves selling to the power company, but also covers outages. less efficient and costs more.
    3 off grid. least efficient and most costly.

most go with the nec rules for installations, but solar dave knows the particulars of your area better. if you don't have power outages then grid tie with no backup is the best option. this can go diy if you learn all that will be necessary and all aspects won't be coverable in just one thread for what all could be involved. some do part of the work and some let an installer worry about it all. if you don't have the time to learn all that is necessary then an installer is best. once you figure out in general what you are looking for in a system then you can get some estimates.