Connection order

Options
solarfatcat
solarfatcat Registered Users Posts: 12
Hello. I have two questions. First, what is the best way ( order ) to hook everything up ? Another words, do you first 1) attach the charge controller to the battery, then 2) attach the panel to the charge controller , then 3) attach the inverter to the battery.
My second question is, how important is it to have a fuse in this simple system ? 60 watt panel , 800 watt inverter, 12 v marine battery, and a charge controller. How do you install them, what size, ect. any info about the subject would be great. Thanks for the help.

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options
    Re: Connection order

Generally, you would connect the charge controller to the battery bank first, then attach the solar panels (although, there are controllers that reverse the procedure--always read the instructions if you can find them).

Second, for general wiring/system design questions regarding a small off grid system, try reading through this thread:

Emergency Power

Next, a 60 watt panel and an 800 watt inverter--That is a fairly big miss-match in power.

A 60 watt panels, with 4 hours of (full noontime equivalent) sun per day, and ~50% end to end efficiency would output:
    • 60 watts * 4 hours * 0.50 efficiency = 120 Watt*Hours on a typical day
    That would run an 800 watt inverter for about 10 minutes a day (at full 800 watt load).

And Marine Batteries are not much better than car batteries for deep cycling... You should probably avoid discharging more than 25% of the battery's capacity during normal operation.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • solarfatcat
    solarfatcat Registered Users Posts: 12
    Options

Thanks for the help with the connection order. My battery is a deep cycle Exide Nautilus. I'm fairly new to this ( if you can't tell,lol ) . I only have a 60 watt panel, but plan on adding more. Starting small and slow; its still a learning process to me. The inverter is 800 watts because I didnt want something to small. Everything I heard about them was make sure you get one big enough so you could expand. Right now Im just playing with light bulbs. Heard some talk about fuses and thought I would post. Thank you.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options

Yes, for a safer system, you should have an appropriately sized fuse for every positive write that leaves the battery.

Even that single battery is capable of outputting nearly a 1,000 amps into a dead short.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset