looking for a small lpg water heater.

notsobright
notsobright Solar Expert Posts: 247 ✭✭
where would I be able to find/buy a 20 gallon LPG (Propane) water heater?

Ive found smaller electric units but not propane except RV type units. I just need a small unit for the shop and so far what I want has been illusive but I know I have seen them before.

thanks

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Re: looking for a small lpg water heater.

Sears sells a 30 gallon propane water heater.

Smallest I could find.

Why not RV or Marine small water heater? Code issues?

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭

RV water heater, even though they are not very efficient, or a demand. (I would go with the demand). Ideally if you could find an older Paloma PH5 or 6. They are out of production but still great units. New electronic Takagis/Rinnias are pretty great units but expensive. I have not used the new electronic Palomas, and have not had the greatest luck with the electronic Bosches. The standing pilot Bosches seem to have a pretty good rep, but I have never used the water flow ignighting pilot versions.

There are a number of off brands you can find on places like E-bay,, but buyer beware.

Tony
  • notsobright

well the RV units seem to be in a hgiher price range but if I cant find a household type unit I may have to go that route.

that sears unit sure is tall. Ive seen 20g units in the past that were short, thats what im looking for but having trouble finding.

thanks
  • 54d18
    54d18 Solar Expert Posts: 81 ✭✭✭

I have an on demand camping type, made by Triton, they are
    sold by Cabelas, I use it at my cabin, works like a charm.

It is not supposed to be used indoors, but I use mine as an
    indoor installation, I just mounted on a piece of tin spaced
    away from the wall on a couple pieces of Cantruss.
  • JESSICA
    JESSICA Solar Expert Posts: 289 ✭✭

I have this one in my house:

http://www.marey.com/detallesi.php?codigoa=11&codigoc=11 (In fact, I think they are made here in Puerto Rico, or at least the Company is in PR.)

It is inexpensive, and pretty good. One con: It is VERY thirsty.
  • bbbuddy
    bbbuddy Solar Expert Posts: 135 ✭✭✭
    JESSICA wrote: »
    I have this one in my house:

http://www.marey.com/detallesi.php?codigoa=11&codigoc=11 (In fact, I think they are made here in Puerto Rico, or at least the Company is in PR.)

It is inexpensive, and pretty good. One con: It is VERY thirsty.

Wow, we had a Bosch just like that (batteries for electronic ignition, it worked great but cost about $800!! I loved it, lost it in a wildfire only a year after we bought it..

going to bookmark this, I'd love to have another on demand water heater!
    Magnum4024PAE, 2 Midnite Classic 150s, 3100watts solar, 432ah lifepo4 battery.  Off grid since 2004.
  • icarus

The Puerto Rican heater may not have UL listings if you care....

Tony
  • DavidOH
    DavidOH Solar Expert Posts: 112 ✭✭✭

Here are a couple, but they may be the same one....??? :confused:

http://tinyurl.com/6lyg24m
    http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?p=WX2&i=145247
    WX2-145247 <-- is the installed model
  • notsobright

thanks for the suggestions everyone.

I wanted to find a small 20g tank type. they made them 20 years ago but not now, atleast I couldnt find one.

I ended up getting this:
    Eccotemp_L10_tankless_water_heater_1__81536_zoom.jpg
    http://www.gardenstead.com/products/Eccotemp-L10-Tankless-Water-Heater.html

it is made in South Carolina. so far it works great. I have it in my utility room and used the vent from the old water heater.

the water is really hot! I am having to turn it down a little each time after using the shower. I havnt found the sweet spot for it yet. right now it is set at 3/4 and it might need to go lower.

very easy install & great price. so far Im satisfied.
  • icarus

Just a quick side note:

Double check the venting standards for new generation demand water heaters. Most should not be vented through old style gas "B" type vents, which is aluminum. Most need to be vented through stainless steel vent pipes. You could very well run into a significant fire and exhaust hazard venting through "B" vent.

Tony
  • n3qik
    n3qik Solar Expert Posts: 741 ✭✭
    I have it in my utility room and used the vent from the old water heater.

Page 6 of the manual, states outdoor use only.
    icarus wrote: »
    Double check the venting standards for new generation demand water heaters. Most should not be vented through old style gas "B" type vents, which is aluminum. Most need to be vented through stainless steel vent pipes. You could very well run into a significant fire and exhaust hazard venting through "B" vent.

Tony

This is needed it the heater is a condensation type. The condensation will rust out the outer steel jacket of the "B" vent.
  • notsobright
    n3qik wrote: »
    Page 6 of the manual, states outdoor use only.

yes it is an outdoor type, sorry I forgot to mention that. I read several reviews from owners that have mounted it indoors with proper venting so that is what I have done.

the utitlity room door that it is in is also vented so Im confident it will be OK. the room I have it in is not heated or cooled and has plenty of fresh air.

if you live in below freezing climates this would not be an option unless you had a way to keep it from freezing.

they have a larger model for indoor use but it requires a/c. this one ignites from 2 "D" batteries.
  • icarus

Personally I would be very leery of installing this (or any other fuel burning appliance) in any indoor area. Two significant issues exist. The first it combustion gases and the second is heat. There are reasons that these units are rated for outdoors. I might use one on an open porch, but I don't think I would use one in any room with 4 walls, ceiling, floor and a door.

Be careful!

Tony
  • simmtron
    simmtron Solar Expert Posts: 87 ✭✭✭

to bad you are not near Mexico, there are hundreds of lp small water heaters here
  • DavidOH

How is that water heater working for you?

I think I will be getting one also.
    Please let me know what you needed to modify and install it.
    I am thinking I will add a a SS exhaust pipe to vent it through the roof.

David
  • DavidOH
    thanks for the suggestions everyone.
    I ended up getting this:
    Eccotemp_L10_tankless_water_heater_1__81536_zoom.jpg
    http://www.gardenstead.com/products/Eccotemp-L10-Tankless-Water-Heater.html

it is made in South Carolina. so far it works great. I have it in my utility room and used the vent from the old water heater.
    I just got one on Oct 11. It is MADE IN CHINA. It seems to be very well made.
    This is the Eccotemp Model L10 1o liter outdoor tankless water heater
    The vent is 4" and it comes with a regulator. Connects to standard 20 lb propane tank.
    Starts up with water flow at 20-80 PSI. An automatic shutoff after 20 minutes.

It will be a while before I get this installed and working.
  • Fullpower
    Fullpower Solar Expert Posts: 69 ✭✭
    looking for a small lpg water heater.

I use ( quantity ) three Paloma brand propane powered on demand water heaters.
    They do not require electricity, and are relatively efficient.

The oldest has been in use since 1989, frozen a few times in a motor home, it still works.
    the newest has been in continuous service from 1998, no problems.
    Continuous hot water, no time limit. I really dont know why these units are not more common.