Frameless Roof mount systems

I have been working on installing a PV system for my house - this is to be Grid-Tie and is primariliy intended to reduce/eliminate electric bills - for now. I may add a battery system later.

Anyway - ive been doing this piece meal as I have funds. - I got the panels last year - 32) 50 watt aSi panels these are 27 x 49 inches or roughly 2'x4' (50w is the final settled output).

I picked up a 2kw Sunnyboy grid tie inverter earlier this year.

So... basically I'm ready to go.

Originally I thought I was going to pole mount these but I have since changed my mind and would prefer to roof mount them.

The roof of the house is at aprox 30 degrees, faces SW, and I live at 40.4 N - so the angle is not too bad. The roof is pretty standard asphalt shingles. The panels will cover a little more than 256 sq ft - 32 x 8, and will fit on the roof nicely.

-- Here is where I am running into problems --
These modules are frameless
I was looking at the UniRac mounts - but as I finally noticed, they do not make mounting system for frameless panels.

So ---
does anyone here have any idea where to find a mounting system for frameless panels?

I would prefer to mount 'High Profile' that is with the panels oriented in Portrait (as in printing paper reference) rather than landscape (Low Profile)
This has more to do with the shape of the roof, and number of mounting braces needed.

Mounted high profile I can do 3 rows of 11 panels, and should only need 3 sets of racks, and yes i'll probably buy 1 more panel to even out the last row.

Mounted low profile, installation will require 8 rows of 4 panels and therfore I would need to purchase 8 sets of racks (same length as above).

Thanks!

Comments

• niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Frameless Roof mount systems

got some pics of the pv or at least a link to some?
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin

description - from the vendor

The module is a frameless glass laminate consisting of two 0.125 in. (0.3 cm) annealed coat
    glass lites, laminated with EVA (ethylene vinyl acetate) to provide an environmental seal. The module dimensions are 25 in. x 49 in. (63.5 cm x 124.5 cm), and the weight is approximately 27 lbs. (12.3 kg). In accordance with the current IEC certication (see “Certifications”), the module has four aluminum rails bonded to the rear glass. These may be used for mounting, and can hold a 1/4 in. or 6 mm hex head bolt (head diameter 7/16 in. or 10 mm respectively).

but the images on the site are from a differnt panel then mine.
  • Solar Guppy
    Solar Guppy Solar Expert Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭
    camelhump wrote: »
    description - from the vendor

The module is a frameless glass laminate consisting of two 0.125 in. (0.3 cm) annealed coat
    glass lites, laminated with EVA (ethylene vinyl acetate) to provide an environmental seal. The module dimensions are 25 in. x 49 in. (63.5 cm x 124.5 cm), and the weight is approximately 27 lbs. (12.3 kg). In accordance with the current IEC certication (see “Certifications”), the module has four aluminum rails bonded to the rear glass. These may be used for mounting, and can hold a 1/4 in. or 6 mm hex head bolt (head diameter 7/16 in. or 10 mm respectively).

but the images on the site are from a differnt panel then mine.

Frameless modules are not UL approved for roof mounting. Depending on your permiting needs and or utlility requirements you might have a bigger issues than how to mount as both require UL listed componets.
  • Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭

Hi Camel,

Have never even seen a frameless panel. Sounds as if there may be an extruded rail on the back of each panel, and perhaps any rail like thing might capture a nut, or bolt. Short of a glue down approach, seems that this or soemthing very similar must be the mounting method.

Would seem to me that surh an approach could use a standard rack, or unistrut, or
    , perhaps even channel stock.

Just try to allow air flow behind the panels, to help cool them, and keep in mind future service access.

More info is always helpful, even the country where you are located, and EXACTLY what is the panel you are using etc ... we can guess, but, to give the best reply this info can be very important. Just MHO. Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • rollandelliott
    rollandelliott Solar Expert Posts: 834 ✭✭

www.lumossolar.com makes a racking system for frameless panels so does
    www.schletter.us

There does not appear to be many frameless module makers, but I think in an effort to reduce costs more manufacturers might take this route. A metal structure that serves both to mount and support/frame the panels would be more effcient than current framing and racking combination which is a little redundant.

below are some other links to frameless designs:

http://www.centennialsolar.com/en/products/sp/frameless.html
    http://www.solaria.com/news/press-2010-10-frameless.html
    http://blog.gogreensolar.com/2009/06/sunways-sleek-frameless-solar-panel.html

PS I know this thread is old as dirt, but I wanted to see if anyone knows of other frameless poly or mono panel manufacturers? Not interested in thin film for this project.
  • ggunn
    ggunn Solar Expert Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭
    camelhump wrote: »

I picked up a 2kw Sunnyboy grid tie inverter earlier this year.
    Which SMA inverter is that? The only 2kW Sunny Boy listed on the Sunny Design app is the new high frequency SB2000HF-US; is it one of those?