Panel Box to hold 25amp OutBack CB

n1st
n1st Solar Expert Posts: 77 ✭✭✭✭
Is there a circuit breaker box that can be purchased at Home Depot or Lowes that will hold an Outback or Midnite solar circuit breaker? The boxes at solar retailers are quite a bit pricier than the big box stores.

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Re: Panel Box to hold 25amp OutBack CB

Some breakers will mount on DIN rails... If you can get such a breaker and some DIN rails, you could then mount in any metal box (unless this will be inspected--then you are probably more limited in your enclosure options).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • n1st
    BB. wrote: »
    Some breakers will mount on DIN rails... If you can get such a breaker and some DIN rails, you could then mount in any metal box (unless this will be inspected--then you are probably more limited in your enclosure options).

-Bill

Ah yes, I think the OB CBs are for DIN rails. I guess I'll ask them at HD or Lowes if they have a box with DIN rails, or DIN rails that can be added to one of their boxes. Thanks.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

If you have any surplus/scrap/recycling places around--you might find some nice sheet metal cabinets from old machinery you can configure for your needs.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭

n1st,

This is prob not much help, but some vendors sell DIN Rail sticks, so you could, perhaps, roll your own :

http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/C102P/39-LONG-ALUMINUM-DIN-RAIL/1.html

But by the time you pay shipping on the rail etc, you might not save much. Also the distance between the rail and the front of the box is important, and, of course there is the need for the rectangular cut out in the front of the HD box.

Altho, Square D QO breakers are rated for DC service (if that is what you need) at 48 VDC or less, and up to about 50 Amps. Some buy QO panels at HD, and use the QO breakers in DC solar systems. You can google the QO breaker specs and see the range of breakers that are DC rated.

I'd be surprised if you found an employee of any Big Box store that even knew that a DIN-Rail Breaker was, let alone knowing that they DO NOT STOCK them.

OB and MN offer Panel Mount DC breakers -- these mount with two screws through the front panel. These are about twice the cost of the DIN PV type breakers, but would be easier to adapt to a box found in local distribution. This breaker is also Magnetic-Hydraulic type, which is a much nicer breaker, and can be used as a switch. Altho, switching large DC currents with any breaker or switch is traumatic on them.

JMHO. Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • n1st
    Vic wrote: »
    n1st,
    This breaker is also Magnetic-Hydraulic type, which is a much nicer breaker, and can be used as a switch. Altho, switching large DC currents with any breaker or switch is traumatic on them.

JMHO. Vic

Vic,

Thanks for the tips and ideas.

Question for you about your statement above...

Does this apply only to DC breakers? Apply only to heavy loads?

What if one does use an inexpensive breaker, say an AC SquareD Homeline, like a switch?
  • Vic

n1st,

My personal advice: Always try to switch DC switches or breakers with NO, or only very small DC currents flowing.

This would also apply the the SQ D QO breakers used with DC.

Regarding Square D, Only the larger profile SQ D breakers are speced for use with DC, and then only up to 48 VDC nominal. It does apply to the QO and QOU, and perhaps one or two others of the larger width breakers.

Please google something like: " square d QO spec " The spec sheet you will find will spec exactly what product lines covered, and the range of currents that the DC spec applies to. IIRC, the current range is something like 5 amp through 50 amp rated brakers in QO, QOU, and perhaps one or two others. Inet very flakey here. Btr post this soon ...

Regarding HomeLie breakers, you could NOT get me far enough away from them. I do not even want to be in the same town as any of these. JMHO, YMMV Good luck, Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • n1st

I hear you Vic regarding DC.

What I had in mind (on my last post only) was switching an AC load on/off via the breaker and if the Homeline would hold up to this. It's to run a 120 to 240v step up AC transformer which I don't want sucking power all day long. I'd turn it on and off 2 or 3 times a day. It could be under load when I turn it on. Any guess on how long a Homeline breaker might hold up to this. Years hopefully?
  • Vic

N1ST,

Many circuit breakers are not "Switch Rated". A few are. I believe that this can be a combination of mechanical and electrical stress imposed by switching them, particularly under load.

Am no expert on this. I have a personal prejudice of the siameesed breakers, and have thought that the HomeLine units are frail, and that they were developed to meet a price point. It is just a personal thing.

Hope that the breaker that you mentioned will hold up to your cycling demands.

Good Luck
  • solar_dave
    solar_dave Solar Expert Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭
    bmet wrote: »
    Really? Moderators?

See the alert icon in the upper right. I have already sent a notification.
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

i took care of it. now i have to edit out the quote bmet made of the spammer. it is bad enough the spammer does it, but to repeat them only reinforces what the spammer did.
  • solar_dave
    solar_dave Solar Expert Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭
    niel wrote: »
    i took care of it. now i have to edit out the quote bmet made of the spammer. it is bad enough the spammer does it, but to repeat them only reinforces what the spammer did.

We should all bow to the super mod! LOL :D:D:D
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    solar_dave wrote: »
    We should all bow to the super mod! LOL :D:D:D

ok, but why are you bowing facing the other way?:confused::p