Battery Config Question

Morning,

My charge controller is now maxed out at 60Amps.
I would like to add more panels soon and can only if I reconfigure from 24V to 48V or upgrade my inverters to 48V (I have 3 now, all 24Volt).

Will this configuration work?

batts.jpg

Obviously the plus side is 1/2 the current to the batteries.
EDIT; 1/2 the current through the charge controller..
What would the Negatives be???

My inverters are not identical, not even the same make.
One is 3,000 watts, the other 2 could be wired in parallel to = 3,000 watts.

Thanks for looking and your input is appreciated.

Zed..

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Re: Battery Config Question

Good morning, Zed, and welcome to the forum.

No, that configuration will not work and here's why: the two 24 Volt inverters will draw unequally from the 48 Volt bank, meaning the batteries will always be unbalanced. The charge controller will try to charge all the batteries the same, but one half inevitably will need more charging than the other, and won't get it or else the other half will get too much.

The simple solution to adding more charge capacity to your 24 Volt system is to add the new panels with another charge controller. Batteries don't care how many charge sources they're connected to, so long as their regulated with the same Voltage set-points.

You can run two (or more) inverters off the same battery bank, or you can divide your loads up so that there are two entirely separate systems. The latter will give you an extra degree of redundancy in case one of the systems fails.
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin

Thankyou for your reply Cariboocoot,

Much appreciated.

Zed
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

to keep the inverters and the present battery arrangement you will need to add another controller to handle the extra pvs that will be added. if you are at the 60a limit of the controller then you are losing some of the amps added by mppt action as the cc is being held to that 6oa limit making it beneficial to place some of those pvs onto the new cc.
  • SCharles
    SCharles Solar Expert Posts: 123 ✭✭

I was faced with a similar situation a couple years back. Ultimately, for my set-up, adding another controller [to run in addition to the first controller] was by far the simplest and least expensive option.