Buying replacement batteries -- new or used?

PorkChopsMmm
PorkChopsMmm Solar Expert Posts: 189 ✭✭✭✭✭
So I have purchased most of my solar set up used from Craigslist, eBay, etc. I was looking to replace my worn out AGMs for some Trojan T105's or something similar. I found these locally and am looking for your advice. 2 year old Trojan J185H-ACs or new T105REs?

Specs on new Trojan 105REs:
From a local shop with free delivery, but 7% sales tax, each one is $145.60 plus $15 core charge per battery.

I was thinking of going with 6 of these for my bank of 12 volts which would put me at ~$1,031.05 for 675 amp hours

OR

Buy 3 or 4 of the 8 Trojan J185H-ACs available from Craigslist that I have found. Specs below:

From the seller: "Batteries are 2 years old. Switched them out for AGM. Water levels haven't been checked for over a year. They were trickled charged everyday from my solar system. They were charged to a maximum of 95%. They are good batteries and served me well. But my AGM batteries are better and have higher amp hours. These batteries are a great deal. You will be happy with your purchase. I'll knock an additional 10% off the price for cash payment."

All 8 are listed at $1,992, with 10% off that is $1792.80. If I buy 3 that is 675 amp hours at $672.30 or 4 at 900 amp hours at $896.40.

I know I am making some assumptions here with pricing -- but which would you go with? Having new batteries with a warranty is very appealing but saving ~$400 is also a big deal.

**As an FYI if I bought these used I would not be bringing them up to my cabin where we have the panels and the inverter/charger for roughly a month, so I would not be able to charge them or run other similar tests that require a charger before then. Bad news?**

Comments

• niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Buying replacement batteries -- new or used?

that's a no-brainer as the J185H-ACs were not maintained and are therefore questionable as to their state. go with the T105s.
  • PorkChopsMmm
    niel wrote: »
    that's a no-brainer as the J185H-ACs were not maintained and are therefore questionable as to their state. go with the T105s.

Gotcha. Thanks for the advice. If anyone else has a line on where to buy batteries I would be all ears. I called my local Sam's club that has a battery section and they acted like I was crazy for looking for 6v golf cart batteries.
  • niel

golf cart batteries are fine to use and are widely available. what would those employees know about batteries in solar applications? not much if anything i would imagine.
  • PorkChopsMmm
    niel wrote: »
    golf cart batteries are fine to use and are widely available. what would those employees know about batteries in solar applications? not much if anything i would imagine.

It wasn't even in reference to solar. For some reason my local Sam's in a big city does not sell anything over a few amp hour car batteries. I am going to start calling around in the suburbs. I am trying to determine if I should go with Sam's club golf cart batteries or T105's -- there might be a price difference but because Sam's doesn't list their prices online it is hard to make a comparison.
  • niel

t105s are pretty much golf cart batteries and the terms are used interchangeably to mean the same things quite often.

hmmm. i wonder if trojan will sick their lawyers on us because of that?:roll: