wind and solar

System
System Posts: 2,511 admin
I need a wind and solar system to run a pump to pump water at 100-200 feet for livestock about 5 to 10 gpm

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,433 admin
    Re: wind and solar

That is a fair amount of water flow...
    • Are you looking for 3,000 gallons per day?
    • Seasonal (less in winter, more in summer)?
    • Do you have problems with sand in the well water (hard on pumps)?
    • Do you have a cistern to store water for cloudy days or do you need backup power?
    • Can you live with pumping only when the sun is up and shining?
    • Does the system need to be fully automatic or can you fire up a genset when needed?
    • Do you have an existing pump in well you need to run or are you planning on a new pump setup?
    • What are the prevailing winds in your area? By season?
    For Bismark North Dakota, you have this much sun per month:
    "Station Identification"
    "City:","Bismarck"
    "State:","North_Dakota"
    "Array Type: Fixed Tilt"
    "Array Tilt:"," 46.8"
    "Array Azimuth:","180.0"
    "Energy Specifications"
    "Cost of Electricity:"," 6.8 cents/kWh"
    "Month", "Solar Radiation (kWh/m^2/day)"
    1, 3.70
    2, 4.49
    3, 5.59
    4, 5.70
    5, 5.87
    6, 6.00
    7, 6.28
    8, 6.00
    9, 5.37
    10, 4.42
    11, 3.13
    12, 3.14
    "Year", 4.98

According to this chart (PDF) for Grundos in well pump with 200 foot head and > 3,000 gallons per day at 6+ kWH per m2 (~summer months using above data) and 1,200 watts of solar panels (no battery system--recommended for lower initial costs and no battery replacements required over time)...

I am no well/pump expert, but that is where I would start.

Does anyone have a wind turbine based pump in your area? Is there a good source for parts and maintenance?

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • john p
    john p Solar Expert Posts: 814 ✭✭✭

I dont think you can use a wind genny connected straight to a pump far to variable the voltage.
  • john p
    john p Solar Expert Posts: 814 ✭✭✭
    I was going to jump in, but man, this thread is all over the place. And what if you were only kidding? Part of it was serious, right? :confused:

Your posts are something else.. but exactly what I have no idea..
    No post you write makes any sense whatsoever.?
    Have you recently been released from some nice resting place??:confused:
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,433 admin

Somebody from India, using a picture from the web of several students from Penn State with the owner of the pictures appearing to be out of Egypt. I have deleted the posts, banned the user, and blocked the IP address.

Don't know what the point was--but it seemed that the poster was getting ready to start posting commercial spam (nothing on web other than the IP address was a bit suspect).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • tmarch
    tmarch Solar Expert Posts: 143 ✭✭

I would get a good solar pump and forget the wind.
    It's easy to come up with 5 gallon a minute at that depth if the supply is at the well or close and you have enough storage.
    Easier to store water than pump it so consider a larger tank if needed.
    I like "tire tanks" for storage as they very seldom need additional heat for winter use, I let my pumps run all year and the warm water will thaw the ice that accumulates so they stay open if the sun shines. I have the overflow away from the tanks so ice isn't a problem around the tanks.