4 new Trojan t105re's are SWELL. LITERALLY!

Options
drew4justice
drew4justice Solar Expert Posts: 36
Looking for confirmation on something I noticed...

I have 2 200W 24vdc panels wired in series and connected to a Tristar MPPT 45 controller and I noticed sides of my Trojan t105re batteries slightly warping. Not exaggerated, but is felt with the hand and seen with the eye.

I have a trimetric system to collect data.

I've had the batteries no more than 5 days, and I witness bubbling during absorption mode. Voltages are set correctly--I called Trojan, morningstar and Borgart Engineering--everyone is in agreement on setting of dip switches, values, etc.

Is this "warping" normal? I've never noticed heat generated from the battery. I don't know what else could cause it, but they've never been warm to the touch. The caps are loose, therefore I'm certain it's not caused by excessive pressure.

Help? :)

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options
    Re: 4 new rojan t105re's are SWELL. LITERALLY!

Not sure... Some battery cases are designed for use with external supports (thin wall cases). Don't know about these.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I've not seen the batteries in question, but,

Bubbling is quite normal during the Absorb stage, particularly in the last half of this phase.

How have you set the duration of Asorb?

If you have the essential tool for adjusting charging parameters of FLA batteries -- the Hydrometer, it is very important to use early in the comissioning of the bank. A very good idea is to read SGs of each cell and record the values in the Log of the battery bank NOW (well, very soon, when you feel the bank is fully charged). Also good to note charger settings, when water has been added and approx the amount, EQ dates, EQ voltage, and duration and so on. This log has the base-line data at the comissioning of the bank, suc that you can see any divergances.

The Jars and cases of my Surrette batteries are flexible, and do buldge a bit, which for these batts is normal. Good Luck with your new bank, Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • drew4justice
    Options

Thanks guys.

I do have a hydrometer and I've taken a couple of readings thus far. I've made a spreadsheet to track and log the results.

The Morningstar is set to give 180 minutes of absorb. It has a built in function for an additional 30 minutes if some low volltage circumstances exsisted the night before.

It's a cheap hydrometer from Amazon. The goal is to squeezethe bulb and bring in enough liquid to the level line. Nearly impossible, so you have to suck up more than needed and then squirt a little out. This causes a bubble to rise and fill the area above the level line. It's a little tough to get the level spot-on. But.. I seem to get different readings based on how close I am to the line. A bit tricky.

When should I take the reading? If I take the reading after absorb, it seems like there is much more hydrogen mixed in with the acid. Should I let it go into float for a few hours and then read?

Also, would anyone recommend setting a timer on my IOTA charger to give a little boost to the bulk stage before the sun comes up? I didn't do any research on pre-charging yet. I'm only draining to about 80 percent according to my Trimetric meter.

Drew
  • cptdondo
    cptdondo Solar Expert Posts: 103 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Looking for confirmation on something I noticed...

I have 2 200W 24vdc panels wired in series and connected to a Tristar MPPT 45 controller and I noticed sides of my Trojan t105re batteries slightly warping. Not exaggerated, but is felt with the hand and seen with the eye.

I had Trojan T105s in my RV for 8 years or so. Noticed the bulging but it never seemed to hurt anything.
  • simmtron
    simmtron Solar Expert Posts: 87 ✭✭✭
    Options

I have 105's in my rv I bought 3 years ago and the batteries were slightly bulged then , they seem to be fine, they are 5 years old now and SG is perfect.
  • Joe_B
    Joe_B Solar Expert Posts: 318 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    cptdondo wrote: »
    I had Trojan T105s in my RV for 8 years or so. Noticed the bulging but it never seemed to hurt anything.
    simmtron wrote: »
    I have 105's in my rv I bought 3 years ago and the batteries were slightly bulged then , they seem to be fine, they are 5 years old now and SG is perfect.

Mine did as well, not an issue.
  • drew4justice
    Options

Thank you, it's relieving to know that the T105's swell and I'm not blowing mine up! 8)

Can anyone answer the following?

When should I take the reading? If I take the reading after absorb, it seems like there is much more hydrogen mixed in with the acid. Should I let it go into float for a few hours and then read?

Also, would anyone recommend setting a timer on my IOTA charger to give a little boost to the bulk stage before the sun comes up?
  • Vic
    Options

Drew,

1. I would take the SG readings when the CC is in Float. You might want to wait an hour or so after Float stage is reached.

2. I think that your Asorb stage setting MAY be too long. Have not looked at the spec for these batts, but, if you are cycling them fairly deeply, then this value may be OK. For lightly cycled batts, one hour or of of Asorb is often OK. The SGs will help you determine the correct voltage setttings and duration.

Good that you have a Hydrometer. Sometimes a good Auto Parts store will have an adequate glass float Hydrometer, which may be easier to use than the one that you have now.

It is important to rinse any hydrometer with Distilled Water after use. If you are seeing small bubbles when you are taking readings, this can result from inadequate rinsing of the hydrometer after use -- this can cause false higher readings of SG.

Sounds like you are off to a great start on commissioning your bank ... Did not mean to lecture about the Log, you are already there.

Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • drew4justice
    Options
    Re: 4 new Trojan t105re's are SWELL. LITERALLY!

Thank you for your input and encouragement.

When you state "The SGs will help you determine the correct voltage setttings and duration.", do you mean that if the SG is too low, that I should increase the absorbtion time and if it's just right or even high, then I would want to lower it?

In other words, how is it related? Is SG directly or indirectly proportional to absorb time?

Drew
  • Vic
    Options
    Re: 4 new Trojan t105re's are SWELL. LITERALLY!

Drew,

Am not at all familiar with the MPPT 45 CC, and how it determines the Asorb time when its defaults are used.

Generally, one would begin with a CC setting for Asorb in the mid range of values speced by the batt manufacturer, and the Asorb time would either come from the manufacturer or a guess on your part. The Asorb time usually is determined by how deeply the battery bank has been discharged. The lighter the discharge, the shorter Asorb time.

There is a rule of thumb that the Asorb time is approximately the same duration as was the Bulk cycle. BUT, regarding PV as the charge source, Bulk is often extended in time, as the Bulk stage usually begins when there is little sun, thus making Bulk take more time than if there was very generous charge current available, and so on.

None of this needs to be perfect, as actually measuring the SG of the cells in the bank will direct you to make changes in Asorb time, and perhaps Asorb voltage.

Sometimes when a bank is cycled fairly deeply, the Absorb time is long, and there are too few hours in the day to complete the Asorb stage. In these cases one can increase the total AH of charge delivered to the bank by increasing the Asorb voltage.

Somehow, I feel that you are not cycling your very deeply at this point, but this is just a guess.

In any case, the Hydrometer is your friend, and it tells you just where you are with your charger settings.

FLA batteried are fairly forgiving, just try to recharge them completly almost every day, and try to avoid discharging them below 50 percent SOC. Discharing them less than this is better yet.

You seem to be off to a good start. Caring and paying attention to your batteries is about all that they can ask of you. Vic