Solar powered portable cooler

Steven Lake
Steven Lake Solar Expert Posts: 402 ✭✭
Alright, I need everyone's help again, as my Jedi search skills have failed me again. (or else such a product simply doesn't exist in the form I need it.) Anyhow, here's what I'm looking for. I need a small solar powered cooler, about the size of one you'd take with you to work with your lunch in it. I'm pretty sure they have something like this, as you see groups operating in the field in Africa with small, hand held, portable coolers (like gallon in size or so) that appear to be run off solar power.

I'm not so worried about needing a fold out solar array to go with it, but rather we need something that can be carried with us on a backpacking trip. One of the guys is on insulin and uses special pens that need to remain refrigerated or else they'll go bad in a hurry. We'd like him to come along on the trip, but as of this moment he's unable to go since we have no effective way to keep his medicine cold. We're only hiking a day in, staying five, and then hiking a day out. So 5 of the 7 days we'll be stationary, but the other two we won't.

So far all I've been able to come across is this, and I don't know if it's either legit, or if it'll do the job: http://www.solarcooltech.com/solar.html

The other problem is, it's huge, and we don't need anything that big. Plus it's listed as "coming soon" and thus can't be bought just yet (which is part of what leads me to my snake oil prediction for the product). So that leaves me back at square one. So, can anyone help me, or is my buddy pretty much screwed? (PS, I think I'm becoming a solar power addict. lol)

Comments

• Slappy
    Slappy Solar Expert Posts: 251 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Re: Solar powered portable cooler

http://www.compactappliance.com/PKCOJN-Peak-12-Volt-9-Can-Travel-Cooler/Warmer/PKCOJN,default,pd.html?cgid=Outdoor_Living-Travel_Coolers

dont know if this is what you are looking for, but it is small and runs on 12v. stays cool for 3 hours after unpluged, put some ice packs on the bottom for a longer duration, to get to your camp site, then plug in with a portable S. panel and batt. never used this product, so I can not say yea or nae.
  • john p
    john p Solar Expert Posts: 814 ✭✭✭

Those type of coolers are less than totally useless. Sure they will keep things about 25 deg C below ambient . but suck power continuous almost at about 5ahr or 60whr. To run it for a 24 hr day . it will be actually running at least 16hrs You would require 300 w of panels. and a 80ahr battery.. they are big and heavy for travelling.. All together not practical..
  • Steven Lake

Yeah, it sounds like my initial assessment of "It's not possible" was right. *sigh* Oh well. I was kinda hoping he could come along on the hike. Well, I guess I'll keep looking and hoping. :(
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

from my memory i believe i remembered hearing of insulin (stick pen) that did not need refrigerated. don't quote me on that, but i think the guy should discuss it with his doctor to see if there is a way it can be arranged, that is if he really wants to go. he could be using his ailment as an out.
  • solarvic
    solarvic Solar Expert Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭✭

s link for insulin storage. http://www.dhs.wisconsin.gov/rl_dsl/publications/GudStrgInsulin.pdf As a person that has diabetis I recomend you to have sugar and candy if you take your friend. Glycocemia or low blood sugar is bad too and sometimes a person can get that if they forget to take insulin. :Dsolarvic:D
  • niel

solarvic,
    we don't know if the guy is going or not and i'm sure the guy is aware that when his blood sugar goes low (hypoglycemia) that something sweet can be needed to bring it back up. just as importantly he must take his meter with enough test strips to extend beyond his anticipated needs just in case. the insulin is needed to bring the levels down. the low levels can happen because one's diet and exercise can vary enough that one day it's high and the next it's low with the same prescribed dosages. too low can cause immediate problems and even a loss of consciousness. i am diabetic too, but i'm not on insulin.
  • solar_dave
    solar_dave Solar Expert Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭
    niel wrote: »
    solarvic,
    we don't know if the guy is going or not and i'm sure the guy is aware that when his blood sugar goes low (hypoglycemia) that something sweet can be needed to bring it back up. just as importantly he must take his meter with enough test strips to extend beyond his anticipated needs just in case. the insulin is needed to bring the levels down. the low levels can happen because one's diet and exercise can vary enough that one day it's high and the next it's low with the same prescribed dosages. too low can cause immediate problems and even a loss of consciousness. i am diabetic too, but i'm not on insulin.

And there are at least 2 kinds of insulin, slow acting where it is more pancreatic support and fast acting taken around meals to counter act rapidly the sugar effects.

Niel I am one step above you taking a daily dose of slow acting. It needs minimal refrigeration or temp control for the active pen in use. it can be at room temps for up to ten days. The additional supply needs to be refrigerated.
  • solarvic
    solarvic Solar Expert Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭✭

So far pills for the diabetis is wotking for me. But, if I miss a dose the next day I have a preety good chance of glycocemia. Ended up in the hospital for a week when I detected I had it. :Dsolarvic
  • niel

i'm sending you a short pm vic as i've got a few questions for you that won't concern the forum. btw, when it goes up too high it is called hyperglycemia. remember that low is hypoglycemia.
  • Steven Lake

I did some more digging, and the pen he's using (he should be able to get by with needing just one of them) is good at room temperature for up to 14 days. IE, ~70f. Since we're going to be in the mountains, the daily temps won't get above 60F, so we should be fine. Plus, I found out that if you bury a 3ft long PVC pipe in the ground in a shady area, then put the pen in a Ziplock freezer bag and drop it down the pipe (with a string attached for retrieval) it acts like an improvised fridge. It won't get all that cold, but it's sure as heck better than the alternative. lol.
  • niel

sounds like that'll work. make sure the pipe is white though as a black or gray pipe will absorb solar radiation and heat things up a tad.
  • RWB
    RWB Solar Expert Posts: 168 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is one of the best small low power consumption portable 12v DC fridge/freezer that I have come across to date. They are not cheap but they are very efficient.

There is another higher end version that heats and cools/freezes also.

http://www.engel-usa.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=vmj_genx.tpl&product_id=21&category_id=1&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=59

Just figured it might be what you are looking for maybe.