outback inverter clicking on/off

So i just installed my 48 v outback inverter from a 24 v system. I'm using an e-panel and i have the power from the generator going to a breaker box then to a small double throw that says inverter on top and generator on the bottom then i run the wires into the E-panel. today after i installed everything and the generator shut off, i switched the double throw to inverter and usually it starts giving me power. that did not happen instead the inverter would keep clicking on/off until i turned off the bypass breakers on the E-panel, but i still was not getting any power.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Re: outback inverter clicking on/off
    castilloj wrote: »
    So i just installed my 48 v outback inverter from a 24 v system.

This is the first part that doesn't make sense. Do you mean you upgraded from a 24 Volt inverter to a 48 Volt one? If so, none of the AC wiring should have been altered.

I'm using an e-panel and i have the power from the generator going to a breaker box then to a small double throw that says inverter on top and generator on the bottom

That's the next thing that doesn't make sense. Usually an INVERTER/GENERATOR switch is for selecting running loads from either one of those two sources. Normally an Outback does not require any such transfer switch; if it detects power at AC IN it automatically switched loads (AC OUT) to that and changes function from 'invert' to 'charge'.
    then i run the wires into the E-panel. today after i installed everything and the generator shut off, i switched the double throw to inverter and usually it starts giving me power. that did not happen instead the inverter would keep clicking on/off until i turned off the bypass breakers on the E-panel, but i still was not getting any power.

E-panels may be DC or AC, depending on the install. Normally they hold breakers for PV and/or battery or they hold breakers for AC loads. I suspect that somehow something has been wired to AC OUT that belongs on AC IN, and/or vice-versa. Time for "disconnect and inspect".
  • castilloj
    castilloj Solar Expert Posts: 208

I didn't change any ac wiring at all. all i did was redo my 8 6v batteries from series/parallel to series . I had the same thing happen when i was still using my 24 v system and i was trying to use 4 batteries instead of the 8.
    So you think i should just get rid of the double throw?
    Also its weird because on 24 v it worked fine.
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭

I don't know what that switch is there for. Normally the generator is connected to AC IN on the inverter. When the gen runs the Outback will switch to 'charge' mode and the loads are fed directly from the gen.

I also don't know if you're trying to run a load that's too heavy and causing the DC Voltage to sink at the inverter's input, causing it to shut down for "low Voltage" and then restart as the batteries "rebound" above the reconnect Voltage point (whatever that is set to; there is a lot of programming to Outback inverters, only available through a MATE interface).
  • monoloco
    monoloco Solar Expert Posts: 103 ✭✭

My E-panel has the same switch, I have to move it to generator to charge from the generator. You might check the set point for the kwh from the genny into the charger to make sure it's under the capacity of the generator.
  • castilloj
    castilloj Solar Expert Posts: 208

So after all of this The new FX3048T does not power up anymore. so i had to redo my batteries to 24v and installed my old 24v inverter.