GFCI on Magnum MMs1012?

castilloj
castilloj Solar Expert Posts: 208
Hey guys, i purchased a Magnum MMS1012 without the GFCI built in, and i was wondering if its an easy thing to add?
Thanks,

Comments

• niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: GFCI on Magnum MMs1012?

you can add a gfci to an ac circuit if you wish, but if you wanted it on the inverter itself you should've bought the g model. i don't know off hand if magnum sells the gfci and its mount separately or not as you may want to contact them for that.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

You can just purchase a GFI outlet (and box) or even extension cords with GFI built into them... Either will work fine.

Is this a fixed (i.e., cabin) or portable installation? Normally, you would only need a GFI if the inverter (or battery bank) is grounded to an earth rod or water pipe system.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • castilloj
    castilloj Solar Expert Posts: 208

Ok , great. I just made the hole in the panel to screw in the outlet. This system is for a house installation that may be moved to a different room in the property so i was wanting to make it as easy to hook up and plug in. I was gonna get the MMS1012G but it was not in stock and the salesman mentioned that i could easily put an GFCI and extension cord and save the money but i wanted to verify from you guys .
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

sure you can. go ahead and do it and if it saves you a few $ then great.:D