how to make a ground mount system look pretty?

rollandelliott
rollandelliott Solar Expert Posts: 834 ✭✭
How to make a ground mount system look pretty?

http://sustainablesolutionscorporation.com/caseStudies-GreenBuilding-Pergola.html

i like the bifacial panels, but they seem like such a waste. too bad regular panel manufacturer's don't make a panel that lets light partially through.

Comments

• niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: how to make a ground mount system look pretty?

to me this is a bit of a gimmick because when you buy a pv you get an stc rating with it. a bifacial at 200w won't do better than a standard 200w pv as 200w is 200w. now a question comes to my mind is if the testing allowed any light to reflect back to the underside of the pv making the reaching of the stc rating dependent on receiving so much light to the backside of the pv to get the same 200w as per my example?

also, letting light through a pv is not converting it to electricity by the pv. the underside is supposed to get ambient light and cannot get direct sunlight without either depriving the main face of the pv operation or using mirrors and other reflective surfaces that would be tantamount to the high temps seen by concentrating cells and bifacial pvs aren't rated for concentration or higher temps.

it seems like a good idea on the face of it, but with further thought it is no better and may even be worse than other pvs.
  • rollandelliott

you're right bifacial is a gimmick.

but I would like to single sided panels that allow light through instead of blocking it with white or black tedlar like most panels today.
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭

Rolland, there are lots of that type out there... I see them frequently on a mailout I get from http://www.globalsources.com/gsol/I/Solar-panel/p/sm/1028882432.htm

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • stephendv
    stephendv Solar Expert Posts: 1,571 ✭✭

Canadian Solar have a model that's transparent between the cells, called 'clearpower'.
  • rollandelliott

west branch and stephen Dv thanks for the cool suggestions.
    I've never seen a panel that was half empty to let light through. I wonder if the manufacturer has any cool architectural designs/photos?
  • SolarLurker
    SolarLurker Solar Expert Posts: 122 ✭✭

Niel you are wrong about the STC rating, the backside is not included. You pay for the 200 watt panel however you may produce much more. The sanyo fills a niche market, where bipv or looks are a concern. I have seen some really neat sanyo installls. Now if you looking for cheep it not the right panel, however just because the panel isn't a cheap Chinese bargain basement panel does not mean it's a gimmick.
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

i did not say that it was or was not included, but cited my question if it was or not. i am right that it is a bit of a gimmick. good to know that it is possible to go higher than rated, but for me personally not at that price for the pv.
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,722 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Niel you are wrong about the STC rating, the backside is not included. You pay for the 200 watt panel however you may produce much more. The sanyo fills a niche market, where bipv or looks are a concern. I have seen some really neat sanyo installls. Now if you looking for cheep it not the right panel, however just because the panel isn't a cheap Chinese bargain basement panel does not mean it's a gimmick.

Most amazing thing I have ever measured is a Wattsun tracking 1800 watts of the Sanyo bi-facials in snow country. I keep telling the owner "I know when you go on vacation" so put a camera on them.

Definately a thing of beauty!
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail [email protected]