Possible conflict questions

Shadowcatcher
Shadowcatcher Solar Expert Posts: 228 ✭✭✭
I just finished installing the 185W solar panel on the top of our teardrop trailer. Here is the set-up. There is an AGM battery in a battery box inside the tongue box and the Morningstar SunSaver MPPT controller is 3M VHB taped to the top of the battery box.
There is a Progressive Dynamics 45A control center/converter in the rear in the galley connected with 8ga wire to the battery. The solar panel (high voltage) is tied to the controller with about 14’ of 10 ga wire.
Nothing unusual until you want to use the load feature of the controller which would be using the 8ga wire from the PD converter.
The only solution I can think of would be to wire in a relay or use jumpers and I am not sure of how to go about that so I do not toast the controller.

Comments

• waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Possible conflict questions
    There is an AGM battery in a battery box and the Morningstar SunSaver MPPT controller.
    Nothing unusual until you want to use the load feature of the controller .

What happens then that's unusual???????? And what are you using it to control?

Quote from the manual, page 27, load control information:
    The primary function of the load control function is to disconnect system loads when the battery has discharged to a low state of charge, and reconnect the loads when the battery is sufficiently recharged.
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭

Let's see if we can get this clear.
    You want to use the Morningstar's LOAD terminals to allow LVD of the Progressive Dynamics converter from the battery?
    You apparently have recognized that the MS's LOAD terminals can not take the power requirements of the PD converter. Using the controller to operate a relay that can handle the current of the converter would seem the only way.
    One would think the converter would have its own low Voltage disconnect, although if it does it may be set at something very low like 10.5 Volts.
  • Shadowcatcher
    Shadowcatcher Solar Expert Posts: 228 ✭✭✭

The only reason I want to use the load function is to monitor, well the load on the 12V system. I have done pretty much everything I can think of to reduce load i.e. all LED lights etc. but there are a couple I have no idea i.e. the radio and Sirius receiver and ignition system for the water heater and the Eberspacher diesel heater as well as the Waco refrigerator. One functions of the solar controller is the computer interface and being able to monitor loads.
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭

I think you're going to need to get a battery monitor here. There's no way the Morningstar can handle more than its rated Amps on the LOAD terminals, and it can't monitor anything that isn't connected to those terminals.